DIY software

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Thanks for all the suggestions and I would like to try sketchup but not sure where to download the free version for my iMac. I only see the paid version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks for all the suggestions and I would like to try sketchup but not sure where to download the free version for my iMac. I only see the paid version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the link: http://www.sketchup.com/ click on the big red download button. when it asks you how you'll use it, select the hobby option. You'll get a 30 day trial of Pro after which it'll revert to Sketchup Make.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/asset.php?fid=19449&uid=9242&d=1481565608

Attachments

• Screenshot - 12_12_2016 , 11_59_22 AM.png
    Screenshot - 12_12_2016 , 11_59_22 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 141

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Here's the input from a 76 year geezer who was a draftsman most of his life. What's wrong with my board & T-square?
I know, I know I'm old school, but it has serviced me well over the years. You guys play with 3-D design and I'll keep my orthographic projection to see all sides of my design.
:rotflm:
Just having fun with you young whipper-snappers

Pop

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
You keep at it with your board and T-square. there isn't anything wrong with that at all. Probably more people should learn to use them. They should also learn how to properly sharpen a real pencil. ;)

I could have some fun with you, too, but i won't. :D

Rick M

New User
Rick
I learned on paper first and love it, but admittedly a good cad program like AutoCAD is so much faster and fun on its own. I was never able to get work as a draftsman so I had to move on but I still miss it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's the input from a 76 year geezer who was a draftsman most of his life. What's wrong with my board & T-square?
I know, I know I'm old school, but it has serviced me well over the years. You guys play with 3-D design and I'll keep my orthographic projection to see all sides of my design.
:rotflm:
Just having fun with you young whipper-snappers

Pop

Well thats better than my bar napkin & ball point pen... although lately i have been using a pencil and formica table top.

I do plan on looking into the my sketch up beta preview but i would like to know how close the beta is to being a release candidate though.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I got no dog in this.

I learned to use a t-square and triangle "when I was a younger man and dinosaurs roamed the earth"
Still use it if I need to lay out a full sized pattern.
Day to day I use sketchup because its easy for kids to pick up for 3d and use at school
I won't tell you I use Illustrator for 2d layouts because that's heretical
Still use fancy 3d modellers occasionally where I'm not confident with sketchup ( most likely my limitations not the software)

My primary go to is right up Crealbilly's alley- a sharpie and a roll of paper towel.
One of my students built me a towel roll holder with a cutting edge just so I have ready access to sketch materials- I can't explain anything without a sharpie in my hand. The holder is a lot like a butcher would have for wrapping paper.

And yes- they learn to use a sharp pencil for laying out parts

obxdiver

New User
Bart
Ive also tried it with wine - it works but not without its issues. Unless they come out with a native linux version or a stable version that will run in a browser - that's platform independant, i wont be using scratchup. I dumped windows many years ago for various reasons. I really like linux and honestly i cant see myself going back to windows again even for just one application. So for now, i continue with my bar napkin method of design.

I'm with you on LINUX and will never go back to Windows either. For my purposes, I really like Draft Sight. It's put out by the same folks who make Solidworks. They have a two stable LINUX versions, Fedora or Ubuntu. You can download it and use it for free. Functionally, it's almost identical to AutoCAD. Which is a big plus for me since I used AutoCAD professionally for years and years. draftsight.com

LibreCAD is another option, but I've had some stability issues with it and never spent the time to learn it.

Either one will probably require a little more technical engineering/drafting expertise than SketchUp. However, you'll have the power of a full blown CAD system at your disposal.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Ok, so I have downloaded SketchUp and have messed around on it for a couple hrs or so and have watched a few you tube videos to try to understand how it works. It seems that all the you tube videos are of an older version other than 2017 and also used on a windows and not a mac. Also, are there any specific plugins that anyone uses that they really like as far as maybe designing a deck, chicken coop, small wood working projects, or even a tiny house/cabin? from what I have seen from watching you tube videos I do like what it has to offer but its going to take some getting used to.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
SketchUp on windows is far more common than on Mac which accounts for the preponderance of Windows videos. I use SketchUp on both Windows and Mac. If you'd like I can help you get things going with a live demo. As for the age of SketchUp in the videos, that's not really a big deal. As far as drawing stuff goes, the tools haven't changed substantially. There are a few newer tools such as Rotated Rectangles and some of the Arc tools but the process is still the same.

Regarding plugins or extensions, there are some handy ones but I would highly recommend you get the hang of the native drawing tools first so you can understand what those extensions are doing. Don't get too many tools in the toolbox until you know how to use the tools you've got and know what additional tools you need.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
SketchUp on windows is far more common than on Mac which accounts for the preponderance of Windows videos. I use SketchUp on both Windows and Mac. If you'd like I can help you get things going with a live demo. As for the age of SketchUp in the videos, that's not really a big deal. As far as drawing stuff goes, the tools haven't changed substantially. There are a few newer tools such as Rotated Rectangles and some of the Arc tools but the process is still the same.

Regarding plugins or extensions, there are some handy ones but I would highly recommend you get the hang of the native drawing tools first so you can understand what those extensions are doing. Don't get too many tools in the toolbox until you know how to use the tools you've got and know what additional tools you need.

That would be great Dave, Ill message you and see if we can work out a day and time, its probably going to have to be some time after the new year. I really appreciate the advise and all the help so far. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors