DIY software

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Can anyone recommend a good software program that's fairly reasonable for designing diy or woodworking projects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Alex,

Have you thought of trying Sketchup. You can't best the price, it's free. They have a warehouse with many different designs, do you may not have to start with a blank slate. Also there is plenty of online help. Dave Richards is a member here and a Sketchup expert.
Good luck.

Steve

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Alex, I was would have to second Steve's recommendation. SketchUp is a good choice. If you want to see some examples of things drawn/designed in SketchUp, take a look here.

And Steve, thank you very kindly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As Steve mentioned, Sketchup is the first thing that comes to mind. Depending on your platform, (windows, apple, google) there may be alternatives, but Sketchup is pretty universal and as Steve mentioned has a very complete library of existing designs.

And as Steve also mentioned, one of our members, Dave Richards, is a Sketchup expert and has often given great advice on using it here.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Does anyone know if Google has a native Linux version yet?

A Linux version of what? SketchUp? Google never had a Linux version of SketchUp when they owned it but they sold it over 4-1/2 years ago. Trimble, the company that owns SketchUp hasn't done a Linux version, either. I wouldn't hold my breath for one, either.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
There's also a web based version of Sketchup that is in beta right now. I've trie dit but haven't spent enough time to really offer a definitive assessment.
Would that bridge the linux gap for you?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yes, there is my.SketchUp which is web based. It's pretty cool but still quite limited in its capabilities. They are adding features all the time so it's getting better. It does have the benefit of running in any browser but you have to have an internet connection. I like the idea that I can walk up to any computer with an internet connection, log in to my.SketchUp and Trimble Connect and access my SketchUp files. I'd do most of the modeling on my local SketchUp installation, upload the file to Trimble Connect and I'm ready to go. At work this comes in handy because I can use a computer in a conference room to show others.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Via Wine, SketchUp can work in Linux. I used this solution on a home setup for several years, although I had a pro setup at the office on a Windows box for daily heavy lifting. But unless you're technically inclined with computers, I wouldn't recommend it because there are various IO and interface issues that will inevitably pop up, as well as non-functionality with very useful plugins such as for rendering.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Via Wine, SketchUp can work in Linux. I used this solution on a home setup for several years, although I had a pro setup at the office on a Windows box for daily heavy lifting. But unless you're technically inclined with computers, I wouldn't recommend it because there are various IO and interface issues that will inevitably pop up, as well as non-functionality with very useful plugins such as for rendering.

Ive also tried it with wine - it works but not without its issues. Unless they come out with a native linux version or a stable version that will run in a browser - that's platform independant, i wont be using scratchup. I dumped windows many years ago for various reasons. I really like linux and honestly i cant see myself going back to windows again even for just one application. So for now, i continue with my bar napkin method of design.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Another option is Fusion 360, free software by Autodesk. I haven't used it yet but have read good things. Apparently they have a bunch of tutorials and it's easy to use.

Solidworks used to be free for veterans.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Unless they come out with a native linux version...

As I said, don't hold your breath for that. From the surveys that have been done, there are almost no Linux users who would be willing to buy a Linux version of SketchUp. The majority expect to get it for free. It's hard to find people who want to donate their time to create and support another version of SketchUp. Software people evidently want to get paid for their work.

...or a version that will run in a browser - that's platform independant...

That already exists in my.SketchUp.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Another option is Fusion 360, free software by Autodesk.

I keep seeing references to it but so far I've never seen any output from it regarding woodworking-type projects. I also don't see anyone showing how to use it on the various woodworking forums, either. If there are woodworkers who are actually using it, they don't seem to be interested in helping others learn to use it. At least with SketchUp there's a large user base and loads of folks willing to help others along much like with other aspects of woodworking.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
As I said, don't hold your breath for that. From the surveys that have been done, there are almost no Linux users who would be willing to buy a Linux version of SketchUp. The majority expect to get it for free. It's hard to find people who want to donate their time to create and support another version of SketchUp. Software people evidently want to get paid for their work.

That already exists in my.SketchUp.

I would fall into that category - i like free software but i do contribute $ to software i really like. Open Office (free) vs Microsoft Office (expensive) is a great example.

As for the browser version - ill wait for a stable release. Im getting to old to mess around with buggy software, dont have the time or will to mess with it.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
As for the browser version - ill wait for a stable release. Im getting to old to mess around with buggy software, dont have the time or will to mess with it.

Who said anything about it being buggy or unstable? Or are you just making that leap? I haven't seen any bugs with it and I've been using it for over a year since the beginning of the closed beta.

I get the impression you won't use it at all no matter what. Probably not much point in further discussion about then.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Who said anything about it being buggy or unstable? Or are you just making that leap? I haven't seen any bugs with it and I've been using it for over a year since the beginning of the closed beta.

I get the impression you won't use it at all no matter what. Probably not much point in further discussion about then.

Well thats great then, ill have to give it try now. Last i heard it was a beta and i don't like to mess with beta software anymore. But heck if its stable now - you bet your bippy i give it a try and start learning it now.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It is still in open beta. I told you that earlier. I did not say it was buggy or unstable.

I'll wait for the release then - true you didnt say that... but the word "beta" by definition implies more bugs than a release would have...

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/beta software

Looks like my.sketchup (web broswer version) is in beta preview. Do you know when its expected to be released? And would you recommend starting to.learn the web version now or wait until the release?

Screenshot_2016-12-11-11-44-13.png

Last edited:

Rick M

New User
Rick
I keep seeing references to it but so far I've never seen any output from it regarding woodworking-type projects. I also don't see anyone showing how to use it on the various woodworking forums, either. If there are woodworkers who are actually using it, they don't seem to be interested in helping others learn to use it. At least with SketchUp there's a large user base and loads of folks willing to help others along much like with other aspects of woodworking.
Like I said, I haven't used it yet but the person who recommended it to me said there are tutorials and it was much quicker and easier than SketchUp. Years back I was trained in AutoCAD and can't use SketchUp, maybe it's too different but it frustrated me. I've also read glowing comments about solidworks. Either way, I have no dog in the fight, just passing along options.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors