Disston D-7 Saw Needing Tooth Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

sash plane

New User
steve
Hello,

1st post..... :wsmile:

I have a Disston D-7 Rip and it needs saw "tooth set" and maybe a sharping...?
the sharping might be ok...but there is no set in the saw what so ever. I cant even rip(resaw) down a 1x6 pine that is very dry....

Who can I send this to..????

Thanks

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Hello and welcome. I am sure someone local to you will come along and recommend a local sharpening site.

Before anyone else says it. You should just go out and buy a nice new saw and send that old dull one to me so that I can paint a winter scene on it.:rotflm:

Seriously

If the saw is sharp and just needs setting, I have done the following in cases where a saw set was not available. Take a block of metal, put a chamfer on one edge that is about 1/2 a tooth deep. Then take a screwdriver and push every other tooth down. Flip the saw and repeat on the unset teeth. Crude, but it works.

If you are interested, I would be glad to point you towards a couple of articles that detail how a saw is sharpened. In fact if you search the site, you will find some good info on that topic. Just let me know.

The D-7 is a great saw, nicely balanced and good steel.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Have set, won't travel.

Don't know where you are but if you ever get near Mt. Airy let me know, I can set the teeth and file a rip saw.

sash plane

New User
steve
ok, after reading.... and Ya'll talking me into it....
I found my dad's old Stanley 42 saw set....and did it myself...

It now purr's like a kitten...... what a big diff "set" has on a saw....
it does not stick now, like it did....

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS