Disappearing Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've been trying to post a new thread with pictures. Having done this literally hundreds of times before, I'm stumped as to why the process doesn't seem to be working. I can place a picture into my post, but when I preview the post by hitting the preview post button the picture disappears. This happens everytime. I've tried the new 'pick pictures from your gallery' button and the old method of opening two instances of North Carolina Woodworker and pasting the codes into the post using the 'insert image' button. Same results. Has something changed? Have I missed some new method? Am I finally getting senile? Where am I? Who am I? Why am I?:wsmile:

Ernie

Sully

New User
jay
Am I finally getting senile? Where am I? Who am I? Why am I?

Time to close up shop and sell off all your tools ....... cheap! :rotflm:

Seriously, don't know what might have changed I always used the cut and paste of the picture codes. Here's a test:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Time to close up shop and sell off all your tools ....... cheap! :rotflm:

Seriously, don't know what might have changed I always used the cut and paste of the picture codes. Here's a test:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

That's easy - my tools were cheap to begin with.:gar-La;
Ernie Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Ernie,

I can't reproduce this problem, so we'll need to do some experimenting. Can you reply to this post (by using the "Quote" button, not the Quick Reply) and include a picture? Then hit "Submit Reply". Don't worry if the picture disappears - maybe it's really there and only you can't see it.

Another thing to try - can you include someone else's picture in your post? For that you'll have to do the 2-browser-window trick, since you can only pick your own photos via the new gallery button.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.5.7 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Ernie,

I can't reproduce this problem, so we'll need to do some experimenting. Can you reply to this post (by using the "Quote" button, not the Quick Reply) and include a picture? Then hit "Submit Reply". Don't worry if the picture disappears - maybe it's really there and only you can't see it.

Another thing to try - can you include someone else's picture in your post? For that you'll have to do the 2-browser-window trick, since you can only pick your own photos via the new gallery button.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.5.7 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Thanks Bas - here are the two photos you wanted.

First, from my gallery.
ncww-4.jpg

View image in gallery

Second - from another members gallery.

DSC01978.JPG

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Ernie,

Bas - Here are the same two photos. This time I previewed the post before posting it.

First, my photo.

Second - a members photo.

DSC01978.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Ernie, that helps a lot. I can reproduce it now, if I "edit" your post I see both pictures, but if I preview the post then the one from your gallery disappears. Now I just have to figure out why :)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, I know why it's happening. Not sure how easy or hard it is to fix. The site automatically expands certain words, e.g. N.C.W.W. (without the periods) becomes North Carolina Woodworker. And we've been having fun talking about vBulleting's Content Management System becoming a CMS.

In this case, your picture has the name n.c.w.w.-4.jpg (again, without the periods). When you hit preview, the site software automatically expands the acronym n.c.w.w. to the full name NCWW. And of course, no image exists with that name! But if you don't do a preview but save right away, the site software doesn't butt in and change it. I'll see if I can turn off the name expansion for images, but that may not be possible...so you'd have to rename your photos to prevent this from happening.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas - that makes sense. I'll just rename the photos and be happy that the cause of the problem wasn't senility related.:gar-Bi

Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Bas - Back to the drawing board - it didn't work. I renamed the photos and re-posted. All of the photos remained when I previewed the post but when I actually posted it, only the third picture appeared. I've since deleted the post. Any other thoughts?

Ernie Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Bas

Never mind - I think I've figured it out. Renaming the photo in the gallery doesn't fix the problem because the embed codes don't change. Even though a photo is renamed "harp4", the embed codes still display the original name "NCWW - 4". I think the photos have to be deleted and uploaded again with the new names. This should result in the correct embed codes. Yes?

Ernie

T

toolferone

WOW, nice job Bas getting to the bottom of this!
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas

Never mind - I think I've figured it out. Renaming the photo in the gallery doesn't fix the problem because the embed codes don't change. Even though a photo is renamed "harp4", the embed codes still display the original name "North Carolina Woodworker - 4". I think the photos have to be deleted and uploaded again with the new names. This should result in the correct embed codes. Yes?

Ernie

Correct,the actual file name has to be changed. If there are a lot of photos affected, I can do something programmatically, but if we're talking fewer than 10 photos, then deleting/ uploading again would be faster...if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.5.11 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Correct,the actual file name has to be changed. If there are a lot of photos affected, I can do something programmatically, but if we're talking fewer than 10 photos, then deleting/ uploading again would be faster...if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.5.11 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Bas

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it. IMO I don't think the issue is worth your time to fix by re-programming. It's simple enough for our members to refrain from using initials for 'NCWW' as part of a picture's name. Lesson learned!

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS