DeWalt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I was at the store the other day, and I noticed that out of almost every set of tools, DeWalt is almost always the most expensive. As far as brands go, I have always had some pretty good luck with DeWalt, but someone I know brought up a good point. Namely, that a lot of the value that DeWalt has is the name. I got to thinking about this, and have drawn a lot of correlations between DeWalt and Harley in my mind.

1. They both have competitors that are nearly as good if not of equal value or better.

2. To an extent it seems like you are buying an attitude: "Harley makes me Hard Core" or "DeWalt makes me a Professional"

3. They both seem a little overpriced

4. They both seem wildly popular

I was wondering what you guys might think of this?

Overall is DeWalt worth it?

If not what is?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I was at the store the other day, and I noticed that out of almost every set of tools, DeWalt is almost always the most expensive. As far as brands go, I have always had some pretty good luck with DeWalt, but someone I know brought up a good point. Namely, that a lot of the value that DeWalt has is the name. I got to thinking about this, and have drawn a lot of correlations between DeWalt and Harley in my mind.

1. They both have competitors that are nearly as good if not of equal value or better.

2. To an extent it seems like you are buying an attitude: "Harley makes me Hard Core" or "DeWalt makes me a Professional"

If not what is?

I've never had a bad experience with a DeWalt tool. That being said, I've not purchased a new one in quite some time since other brands offer excellent tools at more competitive pricing. As a hobbiest/DIYer I don't put the wear and tear on tools that a pro who uses them every day does. I also don't depend on them for my livelyhood. In my case DeWalt isn't worth it in many cases as some "lesser" brands will do everything I need (I've been very happy with Ryobi for instance). If I were a pro and I depended on the tools for my livelyhood and used them day in and day out every day I probably would spend the extra money for a top of the line tool. Not necessarily Dewalt, there are several others in that bracket, but they'd be in the mix.

Travis

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Their customer service is fantastic. I bought a DeWalt router from Sears at a deep discount because they weren't carrying them anymore and the one in question was the display model with everything but the main unit missing. I asked whether I would be getting a receipt for a brand new deWalt router and was told I would so I bought it. DeWalt did not even ask for the receipt. They sent me all the missing parts immediately.

I am not sure you can find a much better value on a new 20" VS scroll saw with tool less blade changing. In that space, they compete well with saws costing substantially more.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
After DeWalt bought Porter Cable and Delta, they began to "push" the yellow brand even more aggressively. (They now control the marketing!) Delta still makes some good stuff, Porter Cable is still a top notch tool, in my opinion, but there's no doubt,"Big Yellow" is "the brand" that is getting the attention. Thus the price premium also.

M2CW
:wsmile::wsmile:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
In my own shop, I do use a number of DeWalt tools, including the hybrid table saw. I'm more than pleased with performance but will admit that this is not a production shop. The tools there do not get that kind of stress. I also use a load of DeWalt tools on job sites. At Habitat for Humanity, we have volunteers using tools under some tough conditions... and the skill / knowledge level of volunteers varies rather widely. These job site tools do see some significant "stress"... and they hold up and perform beautifully. In my experience, DeWalt is quality.

Glennbear

Glenn
I definitely do not practice brand loyalty in my tool purchases which has resulted in a rather ecletic mix in my shop. I agree that for a lot of things one can shop brands other than Dewalt to save some cash on the initial purchase but that has to be weighed against availability and quality of service. I know that if I have a problem with a Dewalt machine I need only take a ride to the service center in Raleigh and it will be resolved. The other thing to be considered is that Dewalt produces some machines incorporating features unavailable from anyone else, the DW735 comes to mind. :wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
After DeWalt bought Porter Cable and Delta, they began to "push" the yellow brand even more aggressively. (They now control the marketing!) Delta still makes some good stuff, Porter Cable is still a top notch tool, in my opinion, but there's no doubt,"Big Yellow" is "the brand" that is getting the attention. Thus the price premium also.

M2CW
:wsmile::wsmile:

After Dewalt bought Porter Cable and Delta, they (Dewalt) were bought out by Black & Decker. Now, Stanley Works has bought Black & Decker. Let's see what happens to all of these brands under the Stanley banner.

All of the Dewalt tools that I have purchased over the years have stood up well over time. The only time I was disappointed in one of my Dewalt tools was when I went to buy a new 18v battery. Talk about sticker shock. I then found out that the B&D 18v batteries kinda-sorta fit, just needed a bit of tweaking to fit in the charger. The B&D battery was a touch over half the price of the Dewalt.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've used my fair share of Dewalt tools in woodworking and construction and haven't been disappointed. The one that really stands out to me is their 18v cordless drill. I had one of those at my former job and I've never seen a tool that stood up to whatever I threw at it like that. I've had days where I had to drive several hundred screws and that thing was a work horse. Compared to any other drill I've ever used, none of the others came close.

Like others have said, for a hobbyist, you can definitely get away with using cheaper stuff. Most of my woodworking equipment is Ryobi and I've been very pleased with all of it, but if I were using the stuff all day every day, I'd definitely invest in better quality tools and equipment. :thumbs_up

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
After Dewalt bought Porter Cable and Delta, they (Dewalt) were bought out by Black & Decker. Now, Stanley Works has bought Black & Decker. Let's see what happens to all of these brands under the Stanley banner.
<snip>
A couple major corrections needed: B&D bought Dewalt Inc in ~1960. So they've had that brand for almost 50 years (!)

B&D bought the Porter Cable and Delta brands from Pentair in 2004.

Stanley Works agreed to merge with B&D (and the aforelisted B&D subsidiaries) in 2009 creating "Stanley Black & Decker".

-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

If not what is?
Regarding point #3, see point #4.

Personally, I think the current DeWalt tools are priced competitively on the whole. For example, I do think paying $600+ for the DW735 portable planer is too much, but the several threads on this board tell you many people think it's worth that.

-Mark

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I have to chip in on this, too. I know that DeWalt tools were built in the very same plant as Black & Decker down in Fayetteville. I know at the time the quality requirements were completely different. I've been through 2 B&D 3/8 drills in the time I've owned my DeWalt 3/8 drill. And I'm a hobbyist/DIY kinda guy. I quit buying B&D. I bought a B&D jig saw for a simple project and feel lucky I finished cutting the one 24 inch diameter circle of 3/4 plywood. I could already smell the motor insulation heating up. And I started with new, properly toothed blades!

Off of that soap box, I also have a ROS and a circ saw from Delta and they always do the job I ask of them. That ROS has been very busy over the years, from wood work to re-painting my 74 Nova.

The whole family uses Dad's 20" scroll saw. Dad actually prefers ole Yeller over the Eagle.

But I have to agree, the bench top planer is a bit high...Delta has kept both Dad and I very happy, and well supplied with flat, smooth wood. And it's serviced at the same place as DeWalt here in Raleigh

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a number of Dewalt tools in my shop (ROS, planer, scroll saw, cordless drill). They have served me well. I know they are not the best tools on the market but I think in general their value/quality to price is right on.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Mark beat me to it regarding the history of the company. His timeline is the same as my understanding.

I concur on the quality of B&D vs. DeWalt.

Bear in mind that a lot of effort went into the major redesign of the Delta Unisaw. Delta makes large generally non-portable tools so they do not "compete" with PC or DeWalt. There is some overlap with PC and DeWalt. B&D is designed for the general public not hobbiests or professionals.

I have owned a DeWalt SCMS and had no complaints. I still own a DeWalt Router and it works as well as the day I took it out oif the box. (And I have used it! :tongue2:)

Doug

A couple major corrections needed: B&D bought Dewalt Inc in ~1960. So they've had that brand for almost 50 years (!)

B&D bought the Porter Cable and Delta brands from Pentair in 2004.

Stanley Works agreed to merge with B&D (and the aforelisted B&D subsidiaries) in 2009 creating "Stanley Black & Decker".

-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
On the issue of B&D versus Dewalt quality: it's worth noting that B&D/Dewalt launched what we think of as the current line of Dewalt portable power tools back in 1992.

18 years is a pretty good demonstration of staying power in a highly competitive market.

Also, B&D restructured their power tools division to make Dewalt into the powerhouse it is. "Competitor" tools from other B&D brands were either dropped or folded into the DeWalt brand (anyone remember ELU ?). I would expect that same well-planned assessment of the purchased Delta and P-C product lines.

-Mark

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a professional in the commercial construction industry we use the tools hard and if they do not stand up we just move up. The tools I am refering to are all portable either cordless or corded. I agree Dewalt and Porter-Cable both have excellent customer service but the tools seem to go down way too often.
In order of quality and durability here is my list:
:no:Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) We do not allow these to be plugged on a commercial site, they tend to smoke and setoff fire alarms
:wsad:Ryobi - you better buy a spare
:thumbs_doNew green Hitachi and the white Makita - OK if you do not overload at all - too many plastic parts
:wink_smilPorter-Cable, Dewalt, Milwaukee - They work, few frills and expect to have them serviced or replaced every year
:thumbs_upGreen/blue Makita, Hilti, Metaba, Bosch - Work them hard the seem to be able to take it
:icon_cheersFestool - Absolutely incredable dust pickup

M

McRabbet

I agree with most here that Dewalt has made quality tools for some time and I've always had good luck with mine (I have a DW733 planer that is over 10 years old and just keeps going and going). Their price point is set to reflect their quality level and is higher due to their very agressive and broad advertising. Except for Woodsmith and ShopNotes, I'll bet you'd find a Dewalt ad in every ww magazine on the planet and in many Google Ads. I like Phil S's list -- pretty accurate rating scale (BTW, I've never bought a HF power tool). My preferred cordless tools are the Teal blue Makitas (I have a 14.4 V cordless drill/impact driver/fluorescent light combination) and my Bosch tools (too many to list).

dlrion

New User
Dan
I appreciate the comments,

According to this forum it seems like everybody has really positive things to say about the quality of DeWalt tools, although admittedly there are better and worse.

I think it would be interesting to do a poll about power tools. I would like to see what people think. Maybe a question like

Which high end power tool do you prefer:

Porter Cable
DeWalt
Delta
Hitachi
Makita
Hilti
Metaba
Bosch
Festool

Any others you think I should add, subtract?

dlrion

New User
Dan
I was thinking more along the lines a company that made both hand power tools and tabletop / floor tools.

Does Panasonic do both of those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS