DeWalt Service Center BEWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In 1979, I bought a B&D Industrial 4" angle grinder. Paid a princely sum of $39.99. Came with a repair guarentee that if it ever needed repair, they would fix it 1/2 half the cost of a new one. Last week, l let magic smoke out cutting a steel bath tub in half. Went by DeWalt service center today to get it repaired. Tech immediately told me no parts were available, and he would sell me a NEW DeWalt for X amount, which is more than either Lowes, or HD want for a new one. No thanks. Came home, went online and got needed parts numbers, then called DeWalt Service center. Though not all in stock, they were all readily available. Told tech on phone that she and tech I had dealt with earlier needed to decide who was lying, as their stories were completely different. FYI, this grinder morphed into a DeWalt 402. The parts numbers for needed parts are exactly the same. Basically, DeWalt doesn't want to put over $100 worth of parts, plus labor into a grinder that will only cost me around $50 to have repaired. This was the first "quality" tool I ever bought. Beware when dealing with DeWalt Service center, as they only want to sell you a new tool, not service the one you have.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is actually 40 years but I was thinking the same thing, I know letting go is hard, but you need to let go.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dude, it's 39 years old. You got your $40 out of it a long time ago. If it quit, junk it.
If you tell me you will fix it, FIX IT! It's the principal that he LIED. If he did it to me , then most likely he has done it to others, which isn't any way to run a business. If the parts weren't available, then that would be another story. In the eighties, I had another problem with same service center, but different staff. Was told parts weren't available for a 7" grinder anymore. Took grinder with me to work in Norfolk. First rainy day, went by B&D service center. When I walked in the door with grinder in hand, tech asked which I needed, brushes, or bearings? It seems that B&D had over 7000 of them on lease over at the shipyard, and bearings and brushes were most common service parts.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Understand limited lifetime and prorated warranties.

We're not talking 6 months or 2 years here. We're talking about $40 and 40 years later. Your expectations are rediculous.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I'm not coming down on this either way, just have some ideas.
I agree that if a company wants to sell a product with the promise of service they should hold to it.
Usually in the warranty it's spelled out exactly what is covered and how they can in innumerable ways get out of their obligation. (Which one could be that parts are no longer made)(I know you said they had parts though).
I know a lot of the warranties usually say that the company can remedy the claim anyway they see fit, which means your sol.

I think that they should hold to their agreement with the customer but that could also include selling you a replacement at a pro-rated price. (Usually a direct sale from a manufacturers store or one that is an authorized dealer is gonna be more than a borg). But if they offered to sell you one at a pro-rated price then they tried to remedy the situation, although you may not feel like you came out.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Their policy is to fix your tool at no more than 1/2 the price of a current closest tool. If it can't be fixed, then sell you current tool at 1/2 price. Because parts are available, tool can be fixed. Second offer to sell me another tool was over 3/4 (not 1/2) of what such tool currently sells for if your tool CAN"T be fixed . Main thing is tech flat out LIED when he said parts weren't available. I guess several missed it, so here it is again. TECH LIED to make a sale. Doesn't that bother you? I'm expecting to pay for repairs as per their warranty.

Drew

Drew Goodson
User
I am just curious and am not implying anything by this question. Did you save the original warranty contract from 1979 for all these years?

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Under the circumstances,
no, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Basically, DeWalt doesn't want to put over $100 worth of parts, plus labor into a grinder that will only cost me around $50 to have repaired.

Think about what you said (quote above). I mean really think about.

I can't imagine any tool manufacturer wanting to warrant and repair a 40 year old $40 tool. I can't even imagine wanting it repaired in the first place but that's just me. *shrugs*

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Under the circumstances,
no, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Think about what you said (quote above). I mean really think about.

I can't imagine any tool manufacturer wanting to warrant and repair a 40 year old $40 tool. I can't even imagine wanting it repaired in the first place but that's just me. *shrugs*
And how many tools have you returned to either Sears, or Snap On? None hopefully. Same type of warranty! That $40 adjusted for inflation now comes to close to if not over $200.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
And how many tools have you returned to either Sears, or Snap On? None hopefully. Same type of warranty! That $40 adjusted for inflation now comes to close to if not over $200.

I can honestly say that I've never had to return a power tool to Sears or Snap-on, especially 40 year old ones.

Bruce, buddy, I'm not in anyway defending DeWalt. I have only but one yellow piece of equipment in my shop and that's a DeWalt thickness planer I caught on sale years ago for $310. If it quit tomorrow, I'd fix it and get on with my life. I have a Delta thickness planer as a back up so no big deal on the down time.

In my opinion and the way I view power tools is they are disposable items. They wear and they fail. If it/they last long enough for me to get my money's worth out of it, it was a good investment.

Many years ago I bought a Skill "sawsall" for $60. I use it regularly and I got my money's worth out of it a long time ago. It may not work the next time I plug it in. If this occurs, I'll throw it away and go get me a new one. Years ago, I bought a Bosch palm router that I cought on sale for $90. If it quits today, I have already gotten my money's worth out of it so I'll throw it away and go get me a new one. I can go on and on....

I'm sorry you're having the problems you're having and I'm sorry you feel "shafted" by DeWalt service center. May you find peace in the future.

gritz

New User
Robert
I had a similar experience with them over a drill motor with broken gear teeth about 30 years ago. The tool was about two years old and I was told to trash it and buy their new one. I later found out that parts were available. That's why the only yellow tool in my shop is a 735 planer I traded into at less than half price. Speaking as a retired contractor, since they missed out on about 25 years of my business, I figger we are about even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS