Desk Clock revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I posted a photo a couple weeks ago of this desk clock.

103_2628.JPG

And got some good feedback on proportions. I agree with you all that it was "top heavy". The suggestions were to thin out the top walnut piece. Unfortunately, I already had the top piece cut for the next clock and didn't have a safe way to thin it out. So instead, I was able to safely trim all four sides and then re-route the round-overs. This made the top smaller and I hope less top heavy. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Both clocks are just scrap mahogany and walnut. I gave the first one to my old boss before he moved to Europe. He liked it, so mission accomplished. This second one is for my desk.

103_5875.JPG

These were both good learning projects for me.

First time I used a circle cutter and forstner bits to hog-out the cavity for the clocks. Found out the hard way that some of these clock inserts work better with stock thicker than 3/4.

First chance to do some routing with my new router table insert in my table saw. Worked well and adjustments, while not as easy as a router lift, weren't too bad. Just have to sneak up on the final cut.

First time I used mineral spirits to cut polyurethane to make "wiping poly". This is so much easier than brushing on and worrying about runs. I only wanted the sheen, not a plastic look, so only two coats required.

Next project may be another, more elaborate, guitar stand. I need to spend some time with my 17-year-old and it is something I think I could get him interested in. If anybody have some good pictures of one, I would be happy to see them.

Brian

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Brian,

The second clock looks much better. Better proportions. It looks very nice.

A tip that might be helpful to you is to make a scale drawing of your next project then take a long look at it to see if the proportions look pleasing to the eye. I sometimes take craft paper and make a full size drawing to see what the final piece will look like. Hope this helps. :icon_thum

Lyell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS