Denatured Alcohol questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have ordered some denatured alcohol for drying rough turned bowls and would like your opinion.
How long should they stay in the dna (assume an 8 inch bowl 3/4 inch thick, wood medium density, not poplar and not rock maple).
After taking out of the dna, does the end grain need to be coated until drying is complete?
Do you get the same amount of warping or can it be rough turned thinner?
Thanks,
Mike Mills

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have ordered some denatured alcohol for drying rough turned bowls and would like your opinion.
How long should they stay in the dna (assume an 8 inch bowl 3/4 inch thick, wood medium density, not poplar and not rock maple).
After taking out of the dna, does the end grain need to be coated until drying is complete?
Thanks,
Mike Mills

Hey Mike - cool last name :cool:

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Thanks for the link Dave. I had searched but did not find that site. It is great when someone runs test and keeps track of the results. Of course, just experience answers many questions so if anyone has additional comments I welcome them.

Oh, Jeff, back at ya...it has always served me well.

Mike Mills

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My answers in green.

I would leave it overnight.

No, just wrap in brown paper leaving the inside of the bowl uncovered.

No, You could probably turn it thinner depending on the type of wood and how thin you want to finish.

Thanks,
Mike Mills

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the link Dave. I had searched but did not find that site. It is great when someone runs test and keeps track of the results. Of course, just experience answers many questions so if anyone has additional comments I welcome them.

Oh, Jeff, back at ya...it has always served me well.

Mike Mills

It is a good lastname, isn't it?

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
A little info I found.

Dave:)

I read all that and don't understand weighing a bottle of water, and then weighing the same bottle filled with DNA and then comming up with a number. What does any of that have to do with soaking a piece of wood in DNA? Another question: if the DNA replaces the water in the wood, does that mean that the DNA is always being diluted by the water removed from the wood? :icon_scra

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I read all that and don't understand weighing a bottle of water, and then weighing the same bottle filled with DNA and then comming up with a number. What does any of that have to do with soaking a piece of wood in DNA? Another question: if the DNA replaces the water in the wood, does that mean that the DNA is always being diluted by the water removed from the wood? :icon_scra

First question...

There is a difference in the weight of water and alcohol, if you know precisely what each one weighs and you know exactly how much you have then you can figure out how much of each one is in the bottle. Knowing how much water is in the alcohol is important because at a certain percentage of water in the alcohol it won't draw water out of the wood anymore so you would be wasting your time to soak the wood in your mixture.

Simple, eh? :rotflm:

Second question...

Yep!

See first question. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS