Denatured Alcohol DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have started trying DNA for the first time. A couple of questions.

Does anyone know if DNA will affect PVC pipe? Or vise versa? Joints would be above the DNA level. I plan to make a rack to sit inside the bucket to let the DNA drip back in on the first day of the drying. As the alcohol evaporates it will evaporate within the bucket. Am I being too frugal?

I assume, it does not hurt to double dip? I did not do a full rough-out on the punky bowl from Saturday; the bottom is about 3 inches thick. I plan on letting it drip dry for a day, with the bucket lid on, and then the final roughing out. Then into the DNA again.

Should a normal rough-out be thinner than 10% since it is going straight into the DNA?

Will the DNA and water separate after a time allowing me to siphon off the water? I assume not since you don’t have to shake up Gentleman Jack.
Thanks,
Mike

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I assume I can use this method on boxwood pen blanks as well?

Just cut the pen blanks to size but leave longer than needed, they don't take anytime to dry, a few weeks and a couple of quick zaps in the 'ole micro and you are good to go.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Good day,
Thanks for the information and the links to the alcohol soaking web site.
The information was great. It seems…
Most of the moisture is lost in the first 2-3 days.
Total weight loss is about one third. Maybe my rack will be worthwhile since a large portion of the weight loss should be alcohol.
He does seem to turn the items a little thinner than I have been.
His graphs put everything into prospective quickly.
Fergy, attached is a photo of my drying rack for the inside of the bucket. I left the first one on the rack for a day and I could tell it was much lighter. Maybe I will be able to save some of the DNA.
Thanks all,
Mike

DNA_Rack.jpg

View image in gallery

timf67

New User
Tim
You may get some of the DNA back, but the majority of it - plus more from your bucket will evaporate and be lost. Over time, as you reuse the DNA you will end up with more and more water in the bucket and less DNA. The soaking works by chemical equillibrium. DNA wants to go into the wood where there isn't any and water wants to go into the DNA. As the water content of your DNA goes up your soaking will become less effective and it will take longer to dry the wood. My advice would be to soak the wood in a closed bucket, then remove the wood and reclose the bucket for next time. This will keep you from losing DNA due to evaporation and you should get quite a few uses out of each bucket-full before the water content builds up too high.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hi,
The bucket is kept closed and sealed. Even brought a new one with a good rubber compression seal. Lid was off only to take the picture of the rack and swap items.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS