Delta Contractors Saw - motor problem (2) UPDATE

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
UPDATE/resolution found later in thread

I have a Delta CS with a motor that just hums (no real tune); it turns freely.
I recall having this issue in the past, and so I searched the archives and found my 13 year old post (Sept '06), which describes my recurring issue. Here's what I wrote then:

"My Delta Contractors saw motor is no longer working after I stalled the motor and tripped the breaker. It restarted one time when I reset the breaker, but now the motor only hums and does not turn. I thought the problem might be the start capacitor, and so I pulled that off for testing; it checks out fine as the capacitance is right in the middle of the specified range. The motor number is #62-042, 1.5 HP, wired for 115 V. The face plate says that it is thermally protected. There is no obvious run capacitor on this (unlike more recent motors on Delta saws). Barring something simple that I can diagnose, I will need to bring this to a motor shop. Can anyone recommend a place in Raleigh? Anyone Thanks for any ideas or hints you may have. Is there a Internet guide to electric induction motor diagnosis? "

I have not checked the start capacitor this time - being without a usable multi-meter at this point.

Searching the NCWW archives I have seen reference to three places in Raleigh, and one recommended one in Durham

1. Bruce wrote this about Electric Motor (or similar) on S Saunders St:
"There is a motor shop on south Saunders St., just below Ray Price Harley shop. It is a small cinder block building. Went in there a couple of weeks ago for first time, and was very happy with results. It was like stepping back into the 1950's. Is your motor the one with the quick disconnect plug, if so I have one you can borrow. (Long story) …."
- I called there, no answer. I drove by there and it was dark, with two FedEx or UPS delivery attempt notices on the door (dated 7/16 and 7/17).

2. Motors and Controls - on Hodges St. my earlier post stated that this was the shop that repaired my motor last time. I called and they stated that they do no do repairs (hmmm they used to?).

3. Williams - on Hillsborough St just west of Burke Bros - closest place for me, but they have a 10-14 day turnaround. Wow, I'd like to use my saw well before that.

Not sure where to turn now. I can send it in to Williams, but then I would love to figure out a way to rip wood in the meantime. I do have a BS, as an option, but I have never been good at getting consistently sized rips there. Operator error no doubt.

Bruce do you still have an extra CS motor that I can relieve you of? Mine does have a quick disconnect.
Other ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Henry, does the motor run if you give a little spin to it? You may have some dust build up in the starting circuit. Is the motor TEFC or ODP? Maybe you could blow out any dust and see if that does anything.

Roy G

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Roy - I did try that (carefully!) to no avail. It does not.
I don't know what ODP stands for, but if those are the two options it must be because I do not think it is a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled ).

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Motor hums = starting windings not being energized.
3 most common causes
1. Centrifugal switch contact points worn, damaged, or just corroded
2. Capacitor is bad
3. Starting windings burned out

Uncommon but possible cause:
Loose or broken wires somewhere in the circuit.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a few motors hanging around. send me some specs and a pic and i'll look around. i'll be around sunday. mostly what I have is 240v. I think.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's one for a couple of c-notes on eBay. The photo show the specs. this one is a Marathon-made motor. Delta may label 62-042 on motors from various makers.

1 62-042.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Motor hums = starting windings not being energized.
3 most common causes
1. Centrifugal switch contact points worn, damaged, or just corroded
2. Capacitor is bad
3. Starting windings burned out

Uncommon but possible cause:
Loose or broken wires somewhere in the circuit.

Status UPDATE

Well Bob, I believe you nailed diagnosis but not the cause of the problem.

I had the distinct pleasure of an invitation from Bruce (junquecol) to pick up one of his spare motors to get me back to a functioning TS; he added 'Oh, and take your old motor along.'
So he was digging out several choices from his stash when I arrived late this afternoon. We swapped capacitors with one of his spares, and that did not help. We (the royal we here, meaning Bruce working and me observing) removed the fan cover (it is Delta's version of a 'TEFC' motor after all), the fan, and the bellcaps. Guess what clogged the motor housing ? A bunch of what litters my shop floor - sawdust, sawdust, and more sawdust.
Took it outside (finally something I could do), blew out the accumulation of dust from inside the "TEFC" motor, and reassembled. Restoration of power and the I am back in business!
Bruce not only took the time to find a spare motor and offer it to me for my use, but then proceed to address the potentially simple causes of the failure, and test these hypotheses. The (original, now working) motor I went home with has no conditions on my use - I can have it as long as I want it! And I know more about what to check for when (if) this ever happens again.

Many kudos to Bruce for the generous offer of the use of his spare motor, his diagnostic skills, for his ability to fix this with a few blasts of air, and for taking the time to demonstrate skills that are well within my reach but that I did not understand enough (previously) to attempt. The motor shops in Raleigh have missed an opportunity this week. Donation to NCWW coming tonight!

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Forgot the possibility of impacted sawdust occluding the centrifugal switch's contacts from working. Actually, I've seen that a lot but a contractor saw will have the motor exposed and in the back so I didn't consider that Plenty of air circulating around. I usually see sawdust stuffed motors from cabinet saws that didn't have good dust collection.

Modern USA-made motors (last 30 years) are pretty easy to work on compared to some of the real vintage motors or Asian motors.
Baldor motor repair (lotsa pics) - Old Woodworking Machines

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Forgot the possibility of impacted sawdust occluding the centrifugal switch's contacts from working. Actually, I've seen that a lot but a contractor saw will have the motor exposed and in the back so I didn't consider that Plenty of air circulating around. I usually see sawdust stuffed motors from cabinet saws that didn't have good dust collection.

Modern USA-made motors (last 30 years) are pretty easy to work on compared to some of the real vintage motors or Asian motors.
Baldor motor repair (lotsa pics) - Old Woodworking Machines
Bob, remember this was a Quote / End Quote " TEFC" motor that was full on saw dust. Similar to the motor Delta put on the enclosed stand band saws. These style of motor was the best dust collection Delta put on their 14" band saws, IMHO. Main thing is Henry now knows what to do if this should happen again.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well Bob, I believe you nailed diagnosis but not the cause of the problem.

I had the distinct pleasure of an invitation from Bruce (junquecol) to pick up one of his spare motors to get me back to a functioning TS; he added 'Oh, and take your old motor along.'
So he was digging out several choices from his stash when I arrived late this afternoon. We swapped capacitors with one of his spares, and that did not help. We (the royal we here, meaning Bruce working and me observing) removed the fan cover (it is Delta's version of a 'TEFC' motor after all), the fan, and the bellcaps. Guess what clogged the motor housing ? A bunch of what litters my shop floor - sawdust, sawdust, and more sawdust.
Took it outside (finally something I could do), blew out the accumulation of dust from inside the "TEFC" motor, and reassembled. Restoration of power and the I am back in business!
Bruce not only took the time to find a spare motor and offer it to me for my use, but then proceed to address the potentially simple causes of the failure, and test these hypotheses. The (original, now working) motor I went home with has no conditions on my use - I can have it as long as I want it! And I know more about what to check for when (if) this ever happens again.

Many kudos to Bruce for the generous offer of the use of his spare motor, his diagnostic skills, for his ability to fix this with a few blasts of air, and for taking the time to demonstrate skills that are well within my reach but that I did not understand enough (previously) to attempt. The motor shops in Raleigh have missed an opportunity this week. Donation to NCWW coming tonight!

This has been the history of NCWW. People helping people with no strings attached. It is the way the world should be and used to be. Sadly we don't see it much in the world today but I am sure glad I belong to a group where it is still a part of the culture. KUDOS to all who helped or offered to help in any way. NCWW ROCKS!!!!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
This has been the history of NCWW. People helping people with no strings attached. It is the way the world should be and used to be. Sadly we don't see it much in the world today but I am sure glad I belong to a group where it is still a part of the culture. KUDOS to all who helped or offered to help in any way. NCWW ROCKS!!!!
Amen to that Scott.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors