Delivered the last of the baby furniture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Last weekend, my wife and I went to the Baltimore/DC area for a late XMAS celebration with our kids and grandkids.

We delivered the last piece of nursery furniture, a book/toy case, to our son and daughter-in-law for our grandson's room. Since it has been sitting around for a few weeks I already posted pics- but here is another shot and a reprise of the other pieces:

IMG_43691.JPG

DSC03957.JPG

A happy cusomer:

150225_482508231791250_1195111690_n.jpg

Also delivered were a bed and night stand I built for our granddaughter- her first "big girl bed" The design is "modified Pottery Barn" which I re-drew in SketchUp first. Headboard/footboard panels were made from back-to-back glued sheets of hardboard beadboard, everything else is poplar. The headboard/footboard rails were joined with M&T. I'm a relative rookie turner so I turned the ball finials and lower bed legs separately. The finials are removable in case I ever get a request to convert it to a canopy bed. I took a chance with the nightstand legs- the turned section is part of the legs. They came out pretty well- you could only tell the difference in the turned profiles when they were sitting on the bench next to each other. The drawer was made with box joints (the I-BOX is much quicker than my Leigh jig). I applied a bead board panel to the front and wrapped it with cocksbead. Finish is Benjamin Moore waterborne satin Impervo 100% acrylic latex shot with my Graco airless and a lot of guidance from Brent- the finish came out well- thanks Brent!

Zoe_Bed-SU-2.jpg

Night_Table-SU.jpg

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

Another happy customer:

IMG_4461.JPG

Last edited:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I'm sure your grand-kids will enjoy your efforts for years to come. Great work, as usual. Of course, you cheated by using that I-Box thingy.:)

Ernie

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice woth there Alan!

The baby's room sure looks elegant and the big girls set will be the envy of all of her friends I am sure. :)

Wayne

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
They're beautiful Alan! You can tell a lot of love went into these. Jim

Last edited:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Looks good, Alan. Where did you get the hardboard beadboard? Is it the type that comes in ~48" x 96" sheets?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looks good, Alan. Where did you get the hardboard beadboard? Is it the type that comes in ~48" x 96" sheets?

My Lowes had a few half sheets (probably trimmed damaged full sheets) and full 48" X 96" sheets of pre-primed hardboard beadboard. Each panel is made from two pieces glued back-to-back for strength, stiffness, and so there would be a profile on both faces. It worked out quite well.

Originally I was going to buy an LRH Magic Molder and make my own beadboard from ply. I have always wanted one of those, but the head and cutters are just too expensive. By the way, LRH went under a few years ago but another company, "Magic Molder" bought the rights and tooling and is producing the Magic Molder again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS