Delinquent post

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This started with Richard’s request at the picnic for more Corporate status members and Matt figured out that a post here from me was missing.

I grew up on a hundred acre family farm in the Capital District of NY. From my early teens, I fixed whatever was broken, mostly tractors, autos, and auto-electrical stuff. Also worked as a John Deere mechanic. My woodworking at that time was making firewood and rough carpentry. In 1959, I received a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Union College. First job was with Bendix Radio in Towson, MD. Next job at IBM lasted for 1/3 century. We moved from Kingston, NY to Raleigh, NC in 1968. Both of our sons are NC natives.

Some 15+ years ago I built the Ruobo workbench from Schwarz’s first workbench book. This bench had a leg vise with an ordinary 1” threaded rod for the screw and a modified coupler nut. Didn’t work super well but I saved it anyway.
IMG_4084.jpeg

That was the start of my interest in wooden vise designs. For Triangle Woodworkers Association, I have led two leg vise workshops plus a Moxon vise and a portable vise workshop. For NCWW, I have led two tall vise workshops with an X-cross mechanism and am finishing up Basic Face Vise plans for an inexpensive vise. In Resources, there are plans of mine for a small Moxon vise, a white paper on vise design, and instructions plus drawings from the Tall vise workshops.

And a couple more vise designs are rattling around in my head…

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting. I feel lucky to have someone with that wealth of experience available to help with questions that seem to come out of nowhere. (In the words of Bob Seger “I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”). I for one look forward to your posts and appreciate that you so selflessly offer advice based on that wealth of experience and knowledge.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, I am happy you got around to introducing yourself...now we all know what led to your vise-filled retirement!

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting. I feel lucky to have someone with that wealth of experience available to help with questions that seem to come out of nowhere. (In the words of Bob Seger “I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”). I for one look forward to your posts and appreciate that you so selflessly offer advice based on that wealth of experience and knowledge.
Thanks, Craig.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS