Deck joist service life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
My deck is roughly 20-years old and has started to see the railings and a few top boards decay so it is time for some repair work. The joists look fine but realistically, how long do they last? I would hate to resurface and rail the deck just to have joists failing in 5-years...but if they have another 10+ I wouldn't feel too bad.

any idea what is a typical life for deck joists?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
We just put new deck boards on my deck. The joist were fine, only the decking required changing. The deck was originally built in 1979.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I just replaced the decking and railing on my deck that was 35 years old. I learned three things. One, I am getting too old to be doing that kind of work, two, 2"x8"x16' treated lumber weighs about 100 times what it did 35 years ago when I built the original deck, and, three, a nail gun shooting 16d ring shank stainless steel nails is truly a gift from above. I had to replace one post underneith but the rest of the "structure was fine. What kills lumber, etc. is that every day sunshine.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
Ditto on the nail gun. Wow. My life is saved. Also chop saw with extension blocks. Life is good.

I just replaced the decking and railing on my deck that was 35 years old. I learned three things. One, I am getting too old to be doing that kind of work, two, 2"x8"x16' treated lumber weighs about 100 times what it did 35 years ago when I built the original deck, and, three, a nail gun shooting 16d ring shank stainless steel nails is truly a gift from above. I had to replace one post underneith but the rest of the "structure was fine. What kills lumber, etc. is that every day sunshine.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Thanks folks. I will probably just resurface then and maybe add a girder to take some bounce out...13' span seems a bit far for 2x8s

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Just make sure your fasteners are okay to use with the ACQ treatment of today's lumber (if going treated boards). They recommend hot-dipped galvanized, stainless, or the coated ones. The electro-galvanized will corrode rather quickly.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors