Dead Motor. This just isn’t my week..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
First the capacitor on my Mini lathe burns up now the motor on my 80’s vintage Craftsman table saw (bought new in 1986) goes Tango Uniform. This is almost enough to make a man cry :crybaby2:eek:r at least give up woodworking, :BangHead: maybe not.

I know, I know, here we go again!!!:eusa_doh: BUT!!!!

I would appreciate any and all comments.

So my options are: do I invest $250 + for a new motor on an old contractor saw that may also need arbor bearings shortly and has to be tune several time a year. Or go for a better saw that will be the last one I ever own. I was looking at the Craftsman 922114 Hybrid on sale for $693 + tax (sale ends tomorrow). However, for $589 I can get a Grizzly GO444 contractor saw delivered to my door. Also for $499 I have read the JET 10" Workshop Table Saw Model 708100 is a good deal and is somewhat of a hybrid.

I don’t have 220V in the shop/garage so I have to stay with 110V. With a limited budget (read retired, fixed income) I can’t swing a full cabinet saw and rewiring the garage.

I have read a lot of good thing about the zip code saw and am leaning that way. Is the hybrid worth the extra $$$$$ Anyone know of any negatives that could be stopper.

JET 10" Workshop Table Saw Model 708100
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5852

Craftsman 922114 Hybrid
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00922114000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Table+Saws&BV_SessionID=@@@@1316237234.1186766662@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdljjghjfmcefecemldffidfni.0

Grizzly GO444
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0444

Thanks

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
So sorry 'bout your misfortune there, Norm.

Myself and several forum members have the Sears 22124. Here:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...cal=TOOL&subcat=Table+Saws&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I primarily decided on this one through the great reviews, fantastic fence (Biesemeyer), great rip capacity and nice full cast iron top. It has performed very well for me. It too is considered a hybrid. If you watch the Craftsman Club flyer's they do go on sale periodically.

Just a thought, if you were still considering the Craftsman line. (By the way this saw is almost identical to the Steelworks line of hybrids.)

Wayne

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Thank you Wayne,
I see that it has a little more power and is beefier, plus a few extras. As for the fence I have an Incra system on the contractor saw that I’m hoping will transfer over to whatever I get. Also Since I’m now sans saw I really don’t want to wait for another sale that may be months away. The 22114 is pushing the budget window as is.
I’m still leaning toward the Craftsman because Sears is local and I can at least look at and touch it before I buy, plus it has gotten some good reviews on the web.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Of the three I like the Sears best. It appears to be a left tilt, and have cast wings. The Jet and the Grizzley look to have stamped steel wings.
I looked at Amazon where I got a good Baldor motor one time, but they are Out of Stock. Price was in the $210 range. Don't forget the cost of shipping, it adds up quick.

The hybrid concept will give you a slightly smaller floor footprint because the motor is not hanging off the back. In addition, it is vastly easier to install an outfeed table.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
since you keep having these "motor" issues i highly recommend you talk to your power company. If you're getting huge spikes & drops in your power service that could be the problem. I had a friend with a $ 22k edge bander that was at his wits end with motors and electrical parts burning out. We checked the power and that was the issue. We put in a voltage stabilzer and he's now running (2) years with zero issues.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, did you let the magic smoke out of motor. If not , could be something a simple as dust in the centrifical switch contacts/ or bad start capacitor. Check Northern Tools for a replacemant pressure washer motor. Less than $200. The one thing to be sure of is to make your first saw your last.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Baldor has a plant in Fort Mill SC. Just across the state line from Charlotte. Don't know if that will help or not.Mabe you could get thr moter rebuilt.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Bob, Yes a $200 motor quickly goes up when you add shipping and tax depending of where it is purchased. It looks more and more like Craftsman may be the one. Plus the war Dept found out that if we use our Sears credit card we get 12 months no interest, giving us the opportunity to spread out the payment at no additional cost. We firmly believe in paying off our cards every month so not to pay interest.

Phil, The only two things to go so far are the mini and TS. I think the mini went because I was running it of a 25ft 18gauge extension cord and since I’m still learning it take me several hours to do a pen so that is a lot of run time through the extension cord. From what I understand is not a good thing. I haven’t had any issues with any other electrical equipment or appliances in the house or garage. Haven’t noticed any spikes and drops except the usual when we have severe tropical storms. I do live in Fl. after all.

Bruce, The TS motor has been put through **** cutting walnut, hard maple and oak, lots of oak. I have stalled the blade on several occasions. When I took the TS motor to the local rebuild shop he showed me that there was at least ½" in and out play on the shaft and we could deflect it side to side enough for it to rattle. All it would do is hum. He said between the bearing being shot and whatever else was wrong with it was not worth fixing but he would gladly charge me if I insisted he try.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I agree that you may have had a power spike. I had a friend who lost all her appliances and electronics due to the same and the power company did end up paying for the replacements without much hassle.

I have the Jet saw and it does ok by me, though the Sears does have a couple of nice features more. Now and again, a really sweet deal comes along on the forum here, craigslist.com or sawmillcreek.com that would replace your lost saw. Still, a rebuild of the moter by a company local to you might answer.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors