DC 'Relief Valve'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
gdoebs posted a thread about modifying his planer so the DC wouldn't collapse the flex hose when running. I think I have the solution for that and the inevitable times when we close all blast gates with the DC on. I made the following & put it in my DC piping:

First, I turned a slightly rounded valve seat out of UHMW, drilled & tapped it 3/8 - 13. Threaded up a piece of rod and applied some washers for weight. The seat was sized to be slightly larger than the I. D. of the 3" end of a 4 x 3 DWV Reducing Coupling. Washers were added until the desired opening point was achieved.

I then placed it on a short piece of pipe off a 4" tee in the horizontal line to the cyclone. When there is a full on restriction, i.e. all the gates are closed, the valve pops up letting air into the line. In hindsight the tee should have come off the top and elbowed back down before the reducer, but any accumulated sawdust in the riser above the valve gets sucked into the cyclone by the air entering the popoff. Once a gate is opened, the valve self seats itself and you're in business.
Hope someone can use this.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You need to run and get that patented! Cool idea. Is the valve heavy enough to not get sucked into the system?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Blower isn't that strong. If I ever upgrade I think a wooden 'T' bar across the bottom of the rod will stop it.
When I test it the valve just lifts up & reaches an equilibrium height like a pingpong ball in a hair dryer stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS