DC Blast Gate Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

New User
Steve
Anyone used or have information as to the quality of the blast gate micro switches sold by Penn State Industries? I started my new mitre saw station which led to me finally installing my DC piping. In want to use the micro switches but would like some good / bad first!! Thanks guys!!

T

toolferone

I read the review on Penn Sates site and sounds like a bit of a pain to hook up. I don't know about the quality of the switches. I would hope they are sealed for dust. I have used the magnetic switches they use in home window alarm systems. It is 2 pieces a magnet and a epoxy sealed switch with 6" of wire attached. I have used hot melt or silicone to attach the round pieces to the gates. You need a switch that makes contact when the magnet moves away from the switch.

bg%20switch.jpg

Hank Knight

New User
Hank
I built my blast gates and used the same switches Tom used. They're called "reed switches" and they're used in home security stystems, primarily for wiring window alarums. They're perfect for blast gates - easy to install and they last forever (or so I'm told). The magnetic activators are designed to be press fit into holes in the window casing. The ones that came with my switches wouldn't work in my application; they were too long for a smooth press fit in 1/2" BB ply I used for my gates. I substitued 1/4" rare earth magnets set in press-fit steel cups. These worked perfectly. here are some photos of my set-up:

In this photo, one switch is in place in the blast gate side - it's the white spot above the green PVC section - the wire is on the under side of the assembly. Another switch is laid on top of the assembly as an example.

DSC_0007Medium-1.jpg

Here is the rare earth magnet in it's steel cup. It's positioned so it's directly opposite the switch when the blast gate is open.

DSC_0006Medium.jpg

Here is the completed blast gate mounted above my jointer. It's operated with pull cords - one to open the gate and start the cyclone and the other to close the gate and stop the cyclone. It works like a charm and the switches work flawlessly.

DSC_0001Medium-1.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Hank

eyekode

New User
Salem
Hank, I like your pivoting blast gate design. Is this your design? Or do you have a link to more info?
Thanks!
Salem

Hank Knight

New User
Hank
Salem,

I got the design from Jameel Abraham, the BenchCrafted guy. I don't think it's his design, but he sent me his templates and I made my gates from those. I may have made a drawing from his templates before I returned them. If I can find it, I'd be glad to make a copy and send it to you. If not, I built an extra gate. I can trace the drawing from that, if you're interested. Let me know.

Hank

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for the info Hank. I will ask over at Benchcrafted. Those guys are usually pretty responsive.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS