Dark Wood Suggestions

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
What dark wood is available at local woodworking stores. I am looking for something dark for accents to a wood toy I’m working on. I have some walnut but it’s not dark enough.

Echd

C
User
Pretty sure Wenge is going to be the gold standard here for dark woods, but also consider Katalox. Katalox is a bit cheaper and not quite so splintery as Wenge.

If it's for very small accents, a small piece of African blackwood or ebony might not be too hard to come by.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Wenge is likely close to the color that you want, but has large pores that may not scale down to a small project/piece. Also, as Echd notes, it is prone to splinters, and nasty ones at that!

Woodcraft likely has African blackwood, which is pretty dark with some browner areas. Not cheap.

If you have walnut, I would try ebonizing it to get a darker color.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like African Blackwood. It is almost pure black and works beautifully.

How much do you need?
Not much, I haven’t figured it up but I am guess around 2” x 4”, like .5 bf. I will have to check this wood out and see if I can find it in the store

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I have a box of some African Blackwood scraps that I used years ago for handles for a project. I can check and see if I have a piece that size.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Any of the torrefied woods will be quite dark and cheaper than some of the really dark natural woods.
I'm also a big fan of India ink if you want jet black.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors