cutting off top of box

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
When cutting off a glued on box top do you use a TS or BS.

I have not made a box in over 30 years. I do not want to misquote John Leake but I believe he said it is inherent for a BS to leave an gap. The thought of using a BS and then sanding while maintaining a perfect fit does not appeal to me.

How do you maintain a perfect fit between the top and bottom of the box?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I typically use a table saw with the blade set just high enough to saw trough, then saw each side by rotating the box. Use a fine, sharp blade and hold the box steady as you push, especially when beginning and ending the cuts. This is where the blade enters or exits through the previous side's cut. You'll probably still want to sand or lightly plane each edge. I prefer planing so I can create a slight bevel towards the inside of the box. A sharp scraper works, also.

Watch for tear out as the blade exits. To minimize this use painter's tape. In fact, it's not a bad idea to tape around the entire box and then saw through the tape.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
When cutting off a glued on box top do you use a TS or BS.

I have not made a box in over 30 years. I do not want to misquote John Leake but I believe he said it is inherent for a BS to leave an gap. The thought of using a BS and then sanding while maintaining a perfect fit does not appeal to me.

How do you maintain a perfect fit between the top and bottom of the box?
I use table saw with a clean rip blade set to NOT completely cut through the thickness. I leave less than 1/32 holding the box together and finish with a sharp utility knife. Minimum sanding, but you always have to sand or hand plane a saw cut.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I use a Table saw with a 71/4 circ blade. It is set to just under the width of the box sides, and I finish with a Japanese fine-tooth blade. The 7 1/4 Diablo blade is thinner than my 10" WWII Thin Kerf and leaves an almost invisible line.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors