Cutting Board Troubleshooting

Johnathon

J Flip
User
I made several cutting boards with the intention of selling them at a small pop up near me. When buffing the last coat of oil I noticed that while they were dead flat before they (nearly all) have a teeny bit of rock across the diagonals now (if I press one corner the opposing is up in the air a 32nd-16th) Having never scrutinized another woodworkers cutting boards, am I being too critical of my own? All of my store bought ones have a little rock in them but they're also a couple of years old.

I have some screw in feet but they aren't rubbery enough to compress from the weight and remove the bounce. Maybe I could sand the feet down to account for the twist?

Last edited:

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have found that often the middle of the board has a very small high spot which can be sanded out. Do they do the same movement when flipped over?

Johnathon

J Flip
User
Yes, when flipped the movement is the same across the same diagonal. I should clarify, each board only rocks across one diagonal, the other is stable.

Johnathon

J Flip
User
That sounds so obvious now that you've said it. Thanks Mike.

I think my issue was not using enough cauls during glue up. The planer leveled them but didnt address the unnoticed twist.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS