cutting a flue in a woodwind tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am doing this now with a sharp chisel but not happy with the quality of the surface in one area in particular...

If you look at then ends of a recorder or tin whistle, you may suprised to find the mouthpiece end is actually not a round hole; it has corners at the top, so that when you slip a plug that is flattened on top in, you end up with a flue that has a rectangular cross section. It is sort of like this poorly draw image:
flue.jpg

EDIT - that should say raises the topmost point of the hole 1/16" not 16". :)

The place I am having trouble with is that ramp where the flue ends. It needs to be a smooth transition. I have a whistle on my bench right now that pretty much is as described - about 1' long with a 3/8" bore. It's about 2" in where I need to start the ramp. The ramp can be very short, but it needs a smooth surface. The trouble I have is that to cleanly cross the grain I need a much steeper blade angle than I can manage with a 1/4" chisel 2" down a 3/8" hole. Ideally, it should be cut from the other direction, but then I am 10" down in a 3/8" hole :eek:.

I have been trying to brainstorm some sort of scraper. Imagine bending the last 1/8" of a flat head screwdriver at 90 degrees. That might work - push in past the ramp and scrape it while pulling back. I would have to mark inches on the shaft because you can't see in there while working on it.

Thoughts?

CarvedTones

Andy
Dennis,

IOU one beer, at least...
I tried pulling the bristles out of a metal tube handled glue brush and flattening, bending and sharpening it. It cleaned up a couple but is on its last legs already. I had a painter's church key hanging within arm's reach the whole time and never even thought about it. Thanks!

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Andy, you might get the job done with needle files. i e Swiss Pattern files The square one in my set is 0.110" sq. by 3" long, tapered.

CarvedTones

Andy
Bob,

I have some needle files, but I can't get enough leverage on them to remove wood with much speed at all, especially 2" in on the ramp at an angle. I had been using them to clean up the mess the chisel makes.

Mike,

No problem; I hope to get at least a couple drilled and round on the outside at the ends, concentric to the hole. Past that point, you don't really need anything specialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS