criss crossing washer and dryer hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
We just got another pair that will be delivered in a few days. My wife researched it and went with a particular set of front loaders (that's an important detail) that received high marks in all the reviews, but we found out one option is not available - swapping the hinge side on the doors. I didn't expect to be able to swap them; I just hoped you could order them left or right. The issue is that you want them to open away from each other so you can move the clothes directly from the washer to the dryer. If they open toward each other, they can bang and in a narrow utility room (which we have), you can't step around them. So you would end up using a basket to swap the load. I am thinking about asking the installer to put them in the "wrong" spots, so that the washer has to hook up behind the dryer and the dryer vent has to run past the washer. Any experiences with this? This may seem like a trivial nuisance but we have 4 kids and do amout 17 loads a week. It would be nice if the new machines made that easier, not harder.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
If there is room for the power cords (if dryer is 220v), water hoses and dryer vent to cross without kinking, there will be no problem with switching positions. Just be sure someone is there to watch the delivery and point out what goes where.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have been doing exactly what you are describing for the past 4 or 5 years.... however long the front-loaders have been available in my sector of the industry. It is really very easy to accommodate this, the dryer vent will easily reach, longer washer supply hoses are readily available, as are longer dryer power cords, in fact, I pretty much stopped ordering the 4 or 5 foot cords for just this reason. I have yet to see any problems with it.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
No problem Andy, just like Pete said, do it all the time.
But I thought that the Dryer doors were changeable.
I have front loaders, with both doors opening away from each other. The task of transferring laundry from washer to dryer is a simple task, even I can do it. SO says my wife,:rotflm:.
But if for some chance that your doors aren't going to line up right:icon_scra. I'm scratching my head cause they should. cris-crossing hook- ups across the back makes no differenece.
Well Ok ONE does, make sure the HOT water line connects to the hotwater inlet, :rolf:.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Bought LOML a set of Whirlpool Duet front loaders a couple of years ago for our very, very small laundry room. We wound up stacking them. Left enough room for me to build a rack to hang my work clothes.

Now if I could just get the laundry to jump from the washer up to the dryer.

Rick Doby

Dudelive

New User
Dude
The only problem I could tell you to be aware of is since you did mention the fact that your space is small, Be sure that there is not ant kinks in the dryer hose as that will make it work harder.

If you have room to pull them out enough to make the turns smooth and gentle all should be good.

Good luck

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Andy - the only issue I can see is that if you have a marginal dryer venting situation now, running an extended dryer hose is likely to exacerbate the problem.

I believe the rule in NC Code is every 90 degree turn is equivalent to another 5' of straight run and a 45 is equal to 2.5'. Max allowed run is the equivalent of 25' straight run, unless the dryer is specifically rated for more.

All this so you can estimate whether the extended dryer hose will have so many added turns and/or length that you may run into a venting problem.

Incidentally my wife and I also just purchased a new W+D - the Samsungs from Lowes. I noticed the door on the dryer can be swapped R->L, but not the washer.

-Mark

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It turned out to be pretty much a non issue; the installer said he would not have considered doing it any other way. No problems so far, and with our crew it has had some use.

J

jeff...

Don't see a problem switching the washer and dryer as long as every thing will reach ok.

My wife just recently allowed me to do laundry but only my own stuff which I do when I've been working out in the woods or sawing. Now I can actually add just enough soap so it don't come out of the top of the washer anymore. Still working on the lights darks thing but got the whites down pat. Sorry but that's about all I know except for the dryer sheet thing which I forget sometimes and my cloths are not so soft. :eusa_hand

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors