Crib Project from Design to Completion - *Completed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Re: Crib Project from Design to Completion - In Progress

Bromley, Are you chopping out your mortises with the Dewalt bench chisel and the nylon hammer?

Also, what width chisel are you using?

BTW, Your WIP looks great. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks! Yep you got it, not ideal for sure but it's working. It's a 1/4" chisel.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver

Well, I genuinely wish I lived closer and could loan you a couple tools.

Chopping mortises with a proper Joiner’s Mallet and a real mortising chisel is light years away from the way you are doing it. If you are enjoying the Dewalt chisel and hammer, using better suited tools will blow your socks off. For me, there was an enormous difference.

I see you like Veritas/Lee Valley tools. I’m embarrassed by just how many of their tools I own. FWIW, it is well worth getting a proper mortising chisel. I think Veritas now has an outstanding mortising chisel made out of PM-V11. LV also sells some other excellent brands. If you can afford to buy one, I’d encourage you to buy it for this project.

I’m a big matching set of tools OCD kind of guy, but a mortising chisel is the one exception. For 95% of your work, you can get by with just a 5/16” chisel. Works just fine in stock from 3/4” to full inch (and more) thick material.

As for a Joiner’s Mallet, If you haven’t already seen it, I highly recommend an episode of the WoodWrights called “Big Ash Mallet” which is about an excellent mallet Roy makes in just 30 minutes. If you have a 1” bench chisel and some firewood, you’ll be amazed at just how easy it is to make. Even more amazed by how well it works for chopping mortises. After all, what is a Joiner’s Mallet really for?

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Thanks for the tips, after sharpening my chisel for the fifth time this weekend I was beginning to wonder how much nicer a mortise chisel would be. I do love the veritas tools so I'll put one on my want list and see when I can pick one up. I also just watched the episode on the joimters mallet. That seems like a good afternoon project one of these weekends. I'll just have to pick up some wood for it as most of my scrap is poplar.

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Thanks to the snow yesterday I left work around 1:30 in the afternoon and was able to spend the remainder of the evening in the shop. After my first few test slats I decided to get the rest of them ready. This required rough cutting my 5/4 board to length, hand jointing one edge, ripping the opposite edge on the table saw, resawing on the bandsaw, planing to final thickness, and finally ripping to the final width. I'm super impressed with my new Laguna 14 12 bandsaw. This is my first time resawing and I was able to split the 5/4 board and only have to plane about 1/16th or less to get it nice and smooth again. It didn't take much to get it set up and operating in top condition. A couple more hours and I should have both sides assembled. The last few details will be added the router on all the slats.

Slat_Stock.jpg

Side_Progress.jpg

-Bromley

mbromley

New User
Bromley

I have a set of DeWalt bench chisels (yes probably the issue) and some narex ones. The narex ones are much thinner and I didn't feel comfortable prying with the 1/4" one.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver

Bill, I’m curious about what kind of hammer/mallet you use. Also, what type of mortising chisels were you using before you converted over to bevel/bench chisels?

FWIW, I’ve never used a huge pigsticker like the one in the video. I do have and occasionally use some smaller antique ones, but mostly the set of Narex.

Paul Sellers knows way more about woodworking and teaching woodworking then I’ll ever know but he definitely “doinked up” the first mortise and did a much better job on the second one. There are some very obvious reasons for some of that.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill

I use an oak mallet I made years ago.

The mortising chisel I had was one I'd picked up at woodworking shop. I simply do not recall the brand. I also say "had" because I have no idea where it is.

As for bevel chisels, I use some Stanley Fat Max and a variety of "no name" and some old Stanley chisels my dad has had for around 40 years. I beat the snot out of my chisels.

Paul's video was pretty much a demonstration thing so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

mbromley

New User
Bromley

I had a little more time to work in the shop this weekend and was able to get both sides fitted up. There was a lot of hand work involved here to get all of the slats fit right and tight with the curved upper rail. I'm very happy with the final results. Just need to add the details to the slats at the router table, but the hard part is complete. Onto the front next...

Crib_Side_SlatFit.jpg

Crib_Sides_DryFit.jpg

-Bromley​

redknife

New User
Chris

Those curves look great. Moving right along.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

I use an oak mallet I made years ago.

The mortising chisel I had was one I'd picked up at woodworking shop. I simply do not recall the brand. I also say "had" because I have no idea where it is.

As for bevel chisels, I use some Stanley Fat Max and a variety of "no name" and some old Stanley chisels my dad has had for around 40 years. I beat the snot out of my chisels.

Paul's video was pretty much a demonstration thing so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Bill,
That is not a demonstration - that is how Paul cuts a mortise and teaches his students to chop a mortise. (a regular bevel chisel, not with a pig sticker! ha ha)

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Its been a few weeks, but I finally had a full weekend to spend in the shop. It was a very productive weekend and I got quite a bit more done on this crib build. I'm just working on getting all the major joinery done now and I will go back and add the routed details. Everything is just dry fit at this point (I also despise glue up as it stresses me out so I'm putting it off). I did change up the design on the back frame and panel such that the trim detail is routed into the rail and stiles. I'm hoping a few nights this week I can get into the garage and get the whole rear assembly put together. I plan to sand and pre finish as many pieces and sub assemblies as I can so I don't have to deal with all the corners.

IMG_20180217_153031.jpg

IMG_20180217_155438.jpg

IMG_20180218_093158.jpg

IMG_20180218_191322.jpg

-Bromley​

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Quick question... I still need to purchase some plywood for the 3 back panels. Any recommendations on a plywood that would match the grain/color of the poplar? Can I buy a poplar ply? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

I thought that you were going to prime and paint the new crib? If so, just about any regular plywood will work.

mbromley

New User
Bromley

You're right originally I was, but I'm going to tryout a transtint or something similar and go for a greyish tone. I've really taken my time on this build and would hate to cover it all up with paint (as someone advised earlier). I need to pick up some finish and start experimenting with it. I've read that possibly birch could work. I did find poplar ply on home Depot but it's 50$ to ship it and not stocked locally.

redknife

New User
Chris

Since you are tinting, you have some leeway on the match. I guess I’d try baltic birch or maple ply which should be available in your area. Shiplapped solid poplar or raised panels would be an option if you think you can make it work with your design. I wouldn’t bother with HD for this given the typical quality of HD ply, or lack thereof.

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Anyone have experience on using transtint on poplar? I'm thinking I might try to spray it with my earlex 5500 as it would certainly make things easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS