Crib (life bed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
Well, I finally finished the crib that I have been working on (and off) for the last year, and delivered it last week. Today marked the anniversary of the initial design. Luckily the child it was intended for had a loaner crib for a couple of months, but has now moved into his new bed.

IMG_8193+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

The crib is made from Sapelle, that I bought from Brian a while back. (Great stuff BTW, I highly recommend you try it if you get the chance.) I finished it with armor seal. The design is roughly based off the life bed in wood magazine, but I redid the joinery, and used solid wood instead of ply.

The foot board before finishing
IMG_8082+%2528Small%2529.JPG

The crib dry fitted.
IMG_7707.png

If you look the bed bolts are horizontal in the bed rails. That was the byproduct of me blowing through the side of the rail when morticing for the bolts. So instead, I drilled a 1 1/4" hole through, and turned some plugs to put the nuts in. Below is my test piece.

IMG_7547.JPG

It was a fun project to do, and I am glad it is done. The hardest part was probably the slats for the sides.
balisters6-26-10.png

Anyway, here is Caelin in his crib.
IMG_8177+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Hopefully in a couple of years I will get pictures of it as a bed. :wsmile:

There are a bunch of posts about it on my blog @ http://beechcreeknaturals.blogspot.com/

During this build, I made a table for the sawdust chronicles challenge as well, but that is another post.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Great work!!! My FIL made my daughters crib and he said the hardest part was making the side slats. I wouldn't think they would be much fun either. I hope the little tike gets many years of use out of it.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Great looking work.
I like the sapelle. I've done little with it but everything I've heard tells me its an under-used wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS