Craig from Bowclamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Feuerzeig

New User
Craig Feuerzeig
Hi all,

My name is Craig Feuerzeig, I'm the creator and manufacturer of the Bowclamp clamping caul. I appreciate the opportunity to share and exchange ideas and thoughts with so many knowledgable woodworkers.

The curved caul has been my obsession for 20 years. When I got my first job in a cabinet shop... in order to glue a shelf edge in place, something done a million times a day... my boss said "go grab me 10 clamps". I thought there had to be a better way. But there wasn't.

10 years later I started my own cabinet shop. A lot of clamping.

Then I had an idea... And I'd like to talk to you about it.

It's an age-old idea really, made possible through modern (CNC) technology. Put together with a T-slot, to make something new.

The Bowclamp is my simple,inexpensive solution to the common problem of never having enough clamps. I think it is better, cheaper, and faster than your conventional method of clamping, for many common situations...and I think they would be a welcomed addition to any woodshop.

But I'd really like to know what you think, and be available to answer any questions.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've been wanting to give these a try and was actually checking out your website last night. The reviews I've read so far are positive!

Thanks for the post :icon_thum!

MikeH

New User
Mike
It looks like DaveO is already using the Bowclamp.

See the slab joining thread here

DaveO,
How do you like it? Give us some input.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DaveO reviewed it a few weeks ago, DavidF did too. though there were some challenges (probably due to clamp length) in adapting to a different technique, both commented very favorably... lemme see if I can find that thread

Here it is.

Last edited:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
was wondering, if a 4ft set can be used on 2ft or 3ft panel glue ups? any idea what the minimum ratio is for these clamps to work as intended?

or can a 4ft one be used to glue up a 4.5ft panel?

just saw that sycamore glueup too, using the bowclamps to provide a surface to clamp up was a pretty neat trick. was considering getting some pipe clamps for a project but that might be all I need instead.

thnx....Steve

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening, I have been reading reviews about these, on and off, for quite some time now. Most of what is available has only really good things to say. I have been tempted to pursue purchasing a few of these myself, just never seemed to be able to connect with the source and do not remember the going price, either. It seems like a great option for a shop with a limited supply of clamps!

Tony ...

Craig Feuerzeig

New User
Craig Feuerzeig
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm going to chime in on the review thread to answer some questions and add a few thoughts... but in the mean time...

Steve, yes you can use a 4 footer for a smaller (any size) work-piece. Just keep your clamps the same distance (approximately... no need to measure) in from each end. For a 4.5 foot piece, you can use a 2 footer and a 3 footer (if you have the full set) or you can use a 4 footer and add a third clamp on the end.

And Jeff, what can I say. A huge compliment. Thank you. I tend to concentrate on what is obvious (to me), but people tell me all the time how they solve difficult clamping issues... Not just for glueing applications. Glad you liked what you saw.

I look forward to hanging around, sharing, and I'm sure, learning a lot.

J

jeff...

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm going to chime in on the review thread to answer some questions and add a few thoughts... but in the mean time...

Steve, yes you can use a 4 footer for a smaller (any size) work-piece. Just keep your clamps the same distance (approximately... no need to measure) in from each end. For a 4.5 foot piece, you can use a 2 footer and a 3 footer (if you have the full set) or you can use a 4 footer and add a third clamp on the end.

And Jeff, what can I say. A huge compliment. Thank you. I tend to concentrate on what is obvious (to me), but people tell me all the time how they solve difficult clamping issues... Not just for glueing applications. Glad you liked what you saw.

I look forward to hanging around, sharing, and I'm sure, learning a lot.

Well Criag - I'm going to order me some of those Bow Clamps. I could not believe how handy they were in joing them big ole slabs, very cool invention... Do you have them in 5'and 6'ers?

Craig Feuerzeig

New User
Craig Feuerzeig
Right now I'm producing 2', 3' and 4'. I do have the ability to make up to 8 foot but haven't yet as the demand hasn't been there. They get thicker, the longer you go, so as to not exceed the available thread length on your clamp. If you can't flatten it against your workpiece in that limited distance...it's useless. So it becomes cost prohibitive, for both of us, as the material price goes up. It's cheaper for me to make, and for you to buy, two 4 footers rather than one 8 footer. Plus it's a little unwieldy, and a bit of a log. As the great Frank Pollaro said "why would I want an 8 footer when I could just use two 4's".

Now, that having been said...sure, give me a call.

J

jeff...

Craig, was wondering bout the longer lengths because I really like to build 7' x 4' book shelfs and large beds. I'm also thinking about starting to work with wide slabs for table tops. I really don't have time at this point in my life to be working on smaller complex items.

I do own several 6' and 8' bar clamps but the only do so so. The first time I've seen a Bowclamp was while I was at Dave's. I was pretty impressed with them and immediately started thinking of ways to use it to join the slabs and they worked well.

Thanks

clowman

Clay Lowman
I am glad you are here. It's not often that one gets the opportunity to talk directly to the developer of a product you can use.

I do have a question.. this may be obvious to some people, but I'll make a tool of myself and ask anyway. Are you better off using them in pairs?

cskipper

Cathy
I know that DaveO did a test of your clamps and were impressed. I suspect that I will be ordering in the near future.

Craig Feuerzeig

New User
Craig Feuerzeig
No silly questions here Clay,

And the answer is...it depends on the task at hand. For a panel glue up or lamination I'd say yes, the pair would be the way to go, but if you are clamping a face frame to a carcass, or edging a shelf, you would use just one. As DaveO and Jeff found out you can use an opposing pair to flatten something or if you had a rigid bench that won't flex you can use one to clamp flat to it, think veneer press. For edging a table, we can edge all 4 sides at the same time, using one bowclamp on each edge, and only 4 barclamps. Sometimes you can try using one, and if you need more pressure, just loosen the clamps and insert the second. I'll try to find some pics.

And thanks to everybody here for the warm welcome and the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS