Craftsman interior door panel approach

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I am getting toward the trim phase of a basement remodel, and I am considering fashioning interior maple doors. The count is 1 x 36", 3 x 32", and a French door 72" with tempered glass. The style that appeals to me for the house is “Craftsman”. As I understand it, there are a variable number of panels (haven’t decided) and the panels are flat.

My primary question is whether maple plywood would be appropriate for the panels in a flat panel configuration. There’d be some stability advantage to the plywood substrate. I could also see a disadvantage in terms of wear and tear on the door. For instance, blunt trauma to a solid panel will look like a dent if anything whereas the trauma to plywood could violate the veneer.

I think solid rails and styles, in contrast to stave core, would suffice here as the environment is climate and humidity controlled. At the get-go, there were multiple water problems, but we are buttoned up and controlled now. I could wind up with a twister potato chip but so be it. There are worse problems in life.

A common response to this is that I should buy and not build. I am not seeing quality doors for reasonable $ at this time that are persuading me to buy. Any thoughts appreciated, in particular about the panels: plywood, slatted, raised?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Isn’t Baltic Birch pretty tough stuff that doesn’t dent too easily?

For me, as long as the ply is happy in a moist environment, I would go with it for stability and predictability.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I completely agree about prefab door quality! I built a closet door in the craftsman style that I plan to duplicate for the rest of the house. I consider my time free since woodworking is a relaxing hobby.

I used 1x pine for the interior panels for my test door, but plan to use maple or birch plywood for the sake of simplicity for the other doors 10 or so doors. Mine will be painted.

Barring something like the claw end of a hammer or another sharp metallic object hitting the door, I think the plywood veneer should hold up just fine. At the same time I’d you’re only building a set of or two of doors it may be worth a solid panel to allay any fear of serious damage.

Not sure if you’ve seen this, but I found it helpful:

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
TEN, I agree about Baltic Birch in a painted application. I didn’t specify in my post, but the current concept is a simple wood finish on Maple retaining the light Maple look. I don’t worry about Baltic as much as the outer ply on Maple plywood, but I may be overthinking this. Z, thanks for the thoughts and link.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would think that good quality Maple Ply like you can get at The Hardwood Store should hold up very well and solve the wood movement problems that a solid panel brings. Don't use the pre-finished ply unless you find some with both sides clear. When I bought the stuff for a project I was surprised how badly the 2nd side looked. This application needs two good sides on the ply.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Plywood should be fine for the door panels. Is the basement remodel a living space, family room, or mostly utilitarian spaces?

Here's a selection of both flat panel and raised panel doors for a few ideas.

The Hardwood Store has 1/4" and 1/2" maple plywood. I guess they're unmarred and good on 2 sides like Ken suggested.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I’d go with unfinished Maple ply from the hardwood store, 1/2 in. Solid Maple for rails and stiles with mortise and tenon joinery, probably haunched tenons. These doors will be in finished space, including family room, door to shop, bathroom.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS