Craftsman 6⅛" Jointer/Planer.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
As I continue to accumulate some tools and work on getting a work area set up, I came across this today.

I didn't have a jointer. It was free except for the 4 hour round trip.

New blades in it. I'll get it cleaned up and check it out.

KIMG2569.JPG
KIMG2567.JPG
KIMG2568.JPG

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Free is GOOD!
And this looks to be a good worker once you get it refurbished. Good Luck and keep us up to date once in while.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
That looks just like the one I started with many years ago. It served me well. Enjoy your wood working journey!
Bob

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Is there any particular recommendations for the bed? I was just thinking a wire brush and a little oil to remove the light rust.

The rest of it mostly just needs a wipe down.

It has a set of new blades in it that he said needed to be tuned.

Other than that, I'll get a new belt for it. Looking at the manual for it, it appears to be complete with no missing parts.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one too. They are practically bullet proof. Bearings are easy to replace and readily available through several sources.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I have the same one as well. Probably will need to replace the belt, but you can order it online. The bed isn't as long as a traditional parallelogram and the outfeed table is non adjustable so those are the big downsides and they're big. But it still works better than not having one at all.

awldune

Sam
User
On mine I built a little shelf under the cutter that holds a box that catches some of the chips. It makes quite a mess! I also put it on casters.

20200223_135913%5B1%5D-X2.jpg

Last edited:

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
On mine I built a little shelf under the cutter that holds a box that catches some of the chips. It makes quite a mess! I also put it on casters.

20200223_135913%5B1%5D-X2.jpg
Mine is on adjustable casters. I can move it around or if needed, level it.

Shelf with a box is a great idea

awldune

Sam
User
I also caulked in a couple of little plywood deflectors to help guide the chips down into the box. It helps a little but I can't swear it was worth the trouble. The drive belt is the big problem for catching the chips, it really limits the size of the box.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Other than that, I'll get a new belt for it. Looking at the manual for it, it appears to be complete with no missing parts.

Vintagemachinery.org has the manual. [url}http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/2093.pdf[/ur

It looks like the top belt guard has been removed. Its the hinged one that attaches to the back of the fence. That goes a long way in keeping the fence stable and square.

I built a 2x4 stand for mine to make collecting the dust easier.

1           1973 - 1.jpg

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Deciphering the model number and date code, it appears as though made by Emerson in a year ending in 5. 1985? 1995?

I imagine there were subtle differences over the years. The switch on mine looks like the one on @awldune s rather than the one in @bob vaughan s picture

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Sanded and waxed the bed and the fence. Slick.

Generally just cleaned it up. Really only needed a good wipe down. I left the little spots of paint splatter. Adds character.

Replaced the belt and adjusted the motor.

I ran a small piece of yellow pine through. Blades are sharp.

Seemed to cut just the slightest bevel. I double checked and reset the fence using a combination square. It was off ever so slightly. Had to shine a light on it to see the gap.

Second pass on the opposite edge of the board. Slightly better but still the slightest bevel. I "think" maybe one or more of the cutters need to be adjusted and made perfectly square with the fence.

Am I overthinking this? It's probably a 32nd" or less over the width of a 2 by.

Is it worth getting a knife setup set?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors