corian q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
ok so i went by a local counter top shop looking to buy or maybe even dumpster dive for scraps to make pens.well the owner was there so i asked his permission and he actually went into the shop and hand picked several colors of "scraps" and gave them to me:eusa_danc.

CORIAN.jpg

View image in gallery

so now i have the corian but i have no idea how to machine/turn it.:help: do i need a special blade(looked like he was using a triple chipwood blade)or specail turning tools? any advice would be greatly appreciated.and if anyone in the local area could show me the ropes of pen turning(or any of the many other things i keep trying to teach myself lol) that would be great!! who knows i might finally learn how to do something the right way.

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR GLUE? AND IS THERE ANYBODY NEAR BREVARD/ROSMAN THAT CAN SHARPEN TURNING TOOLS I DONT HAVE A GRINDER:eusa_doh: AND DONT THINK THE SANDER I NORMALLY USE IS GOING TO GIVE THE EDGE ILL NEED FOR THIS STUFF.:icon_scra :dontknow:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sander should get you a long way towards sharp & it isn't as likely to kill the temper of the chisel. Get progressively finer grits of Wetordry sandpaper & take it on down using a firm smooth backing like glass, granite, - or maybe Corian? You can do just as good a job of sharpening this way. It just takes a little longer.
There are many archived threads & links here that address this subject.
Turn on.....:icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR GLUE? AND IS THERE ANYBODY NEAR BREVARD/ROSMAN THAT CAN SHARPEN TURNING TOOLS I DONT HAVE A GRINDER:eusa_doh: AND DONT THINK THE SANDER I NORMALLY USE IS GOING TO GIVE THE EDGE ILL NEED FOR THIS STUFF.:icon_scra :dontknow:

Walt, on these I used two part 15 min epoxy - sand the Corian first to give it a better surface for the glue to grab - clamp it and let it sit over night - If you are doing the pens make sure you sand your tubes as well = I do not have a grinder either = I have been using a four inch disc sander and it has done a pretty good job -

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have only tried one pen from Corian type material so I am no expert. I used CA glue to glue it together - worked great.

Tip on making pens - Corian does not have any "give" so when you press the nib or cap into the tubes it might crack the corian. DAMHIKT.:BangHead: The users on IAP suggest that you need to reem the tube out just enough that the nib and cap slides in easy even if you have to use a little CA to secure them.

sawduster

New User
Robert
The only thing I can say about Corian is .....dust :eek:!! Not sure how toxic it is but it truly makes for messy turning :BangHead:
Other than that I have found that it turns and sands just fine :icon_thum

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Walt,
We have a local turning club that meets the second Thrs. of every month, at Blue Ridge School in Cashiers. You are welcome to come to them if you want. We have a grinder with everything you would need to put an edge on your tools. I want be free before next weeks meeting, but usally I would be able to help you sharpen your tools before the meeting. It Starts at 6:00 and ends at 8:00
Jack

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
thanks for all the great advice guys:icon_thum and thanks for the invite where is that school at i know how to get to cashier of course but dont really know my way around there.looking forward to it.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Walt,
You take a right at the red light in Cashiers onto Hwy 107 North. You go about 1 1/2 miles over the top of the mountain and the school is on your left as you head down the other side. Drive around to the back side of the school past the buses and you will see the shop door with a large dust collector next to it.
Hope you can make it.
Jack

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
Since you don't have a grinder, I have the following suggestion that might help. If you can get yourself a grinding wheel you're more than half way there. Next, get yourself a piece of ash or white oak blank 1.5" square and 6" long. Next put it on the lathe and make a spindle cut on it so that you end up with about a 1" to 1.25" diameter shaft. You'll need a finished piece about 2" long. On one end of the shaft, cut it down so it barely slips into the grinding wheel. Epoxy the wheel to the spindle.
Assuming you have some kind of chuck attached to the headstock, insert the spindle into the chuck and tighten it down. You'll want your grinding wheel to fit snug against the chuck which may mean adjusting the spindle length. Fit it all together and let the epoxy set.
Now, you have a grinding wheel that will be turned by your lathe. Good thing about this is you can also take advantage of your lathe's slow speeds. Use your tool rest to support your tool and grind away.
I hope I've made myself clear and that you have good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors