Corian Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I'm just getting started turning pens and noticed corian and acrylic as some more choices for turning materials. Seems like corian would dull your tools pretty quick:dontknow:. Any of you guys have any advice about these materials:icon_scra???

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Corian does dull them somewhat, but not too bad. I think it is fun to turn.

TracyP

Tracy
I don't even know what corian is, much less where to get it.
Woodcraft in Greensboro keeps a selection of Corian blanks in stock. Corian is high end counter top materials.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Corian is a little harder than your regular acrylic. It will dull your tools a little quicker that most woods or acrylic. Make sure to keep it cool when drilling it. It is laminated and the heat can cause it to seperate, other that that it is easy to turn and polishes just like acrylic.

nblong

New User
Bruce
I haven't had any trouble turning Corian. The plus side is that it finishes pretty well (IMHO), the finish lasts, and people who've never seen one can be pretty impressed. It's kind of fun to see the "It's made out of WHAT?" look on their faces when you tell them it's countertop.

William Roscoe

New User
William
The only reason I know about it was I saw some blanks for sale on the sawmill creek forum. They had all the colors and were pre-drilled and very inexpensive. I guess you sand it like you do wood:dontknow: and rub on some BLO or something:icon_scra

TracyP

Tracy
The only reason I know about it was I saw some blanks for sale on the sawmill creek forum. They had all the colors and were pre-drilled and very inexpensive. I guess you sand it like you do wood:dontknow: and rub on some BLO or something:icon_scra

I do mine with micromesh on the lathe and then apply a plastic polish after that. Friction polish works well also.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Corian and Delrin are both interesting alternatives to wood for pens, and other things. A countertop installer often is a great supplier for either/both. Corian works well with ca glue if needed and make an almost invisible seam. The marble/stone look can be pretty nice - even though I prefer wood, everyone doesn't.
I mostly use the Delrin for bushings and tube installers. I don't get metal bushing dust to discolor light woods when I sand and I don't wear out my turning bushings.
Normal turning tools and techniques work well. Sharp tools and light tough always help.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Do you just drill slower or do you use water or oil as a coolant?:icon_scra

Ted

Ted,

I turn it slow and keep a feel on the blank and if I feel it heating up to bad I will spray a little WD-40 in there and on the bit to help cool it down. I guess you could use water as well. Make sure you dry the hole out before try and glue it up.

TedAS

New User
Ted
Thanks Kevin.

I have a corian blank in the shop that I was planing to turn one evening this week. If I wound not have seen this post I would have ruined it.

Ted

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks Kevin.

I have a corian blank in the shop that I was planing to turn one evening this week. If I wound not have seen this post I would have ruined it.

Ted

Hot dog, I finally helped someone instead of needing help. :rotflm:

Ted anytime. You will like the corian. Some of it turns out really great. I still prefer wood but the corian is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS