Cooooldddddd last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
But not too bad for the shop.
Man I am soo happy with my home made "Green" shop heater/cooler.
Using the well water as a heat source. Last night while the temps dipped into the low 20's here, the inside of the shop never got below 48 degrees.
I then use LP to bring the temps up to workable temp while working inside or to maintain 69 degree plus temp in case I have something that is curing.

Cheap and easy.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That is sooo COOL!!! LOL. I was just thinking about your setup this morning, and was wondering if you are also running it for heat. question not yet asked, but answered!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mac, that is a great idea - glad that it is working for you - LOML would be "freezing to death" as she would say at 68 - we uh I usually keep the house arounf 72 in the winter and they are freezing to death but in the summer they are burning up at 70:BangHead:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Yesterday I went out to my shop, the thermometer in the window (which is outside in the sun in the mornings) said 16. With NO heat in the shop overnight, my inside thermometer on the wall said 50. All I have is insulation out the wazoo in the walls and ceiling. If I were to do the little system you've got, I might not even need the LP heater that I fire up to take the edge off. That is a real cool idea!!!

R

rickc

Yesterday I went out to my shop, the thermometer in the window (which is outside in the sun in the mornings) said 16. With NO heat in the shop overnight, my inside thermometer on the wall said 50. All I have is insulation out the wazoo in the walls and ceiling. If I were to do the little system you've got, I might not even need the LP heater that I fire up to take the edge off. That is a real cool idea!!!

I have one of those small radiant heaters in my shop. One with a timer, would let you control the time of day it ran. Something like this one from Lowes.
I also really insulated my small shop (half of a garage), and run one of these. I set it up to run during the night when it is coldest, and then have it off in the late morning to afternoons. I set the thermostat to keep it around 60-65 in there. At that temperature I don't seem to have to wait so long to get glue out of the bottle or finish to thaw! :gar-Bi

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
But not too bad for the shop.
Man I am soo happy with my home made "Green" shop heater/cooler.
Using the well water as a heat source. Last night while the temps dipped into the low 20's here, the inside of the shop never got below 48 degrees.
I then use LP to bring the temps up to workable temp while working inside or to maintain 69 degree plus temp in case I have something that is curing.

Cheap and easy.

Mac,
Take off hoser, eh ? You're a canuck, I didn't think the cold got to you guys until it got well below zero.:gar-La;

J

jeff...

Mac,
Take off hoser, eh ? You're a canuck, I didn't think the cold got to you guys until it got well below zero.:gar-La;

Last night was not cold... try living in northern IL for most of your life, ah now that's cold... my friend

Mac I have to admit that is like the coolest swamp cooler I have ever seen :thumbs_up

R

rickc

Last night was not cold... try living in northern IL for most of your life, ah now that's cold... my friend

Mac I have to admit that is like the coolest swamp cooler I have ever seen :thumbs_up

Lived in Peoria for 7 years, upstate NY for the first 20 years of my life. I understand "cold". Did make it to Chicago one year in February. Still have the images of frozen "waves" coming up out of the lake! Brrr!

However - having lived in Phoenx for nearly 12 years prior to moving here - cold = less than 65! Blood is VERY thin now!

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
cold... pleez! try some windy lake effect snow in buffalo. i did for first 23 years of life, and loved it. didnt care to much to wake up at 6 am with a foot of snow and wind chill below 0 degrees! now that cold to the bone!:eek:

R

rickc

cold... pleez! try some windy lake effect snow in buffalo. i did for first 23 years of life, and loved it. didnt care to much to wake up at 6 am with a foot of snow and wind chill below 0 degrees! now that cold to the bone!:eek:

WIND CHILL below 0? In Illinois, we had daily highs that were not above 0! :gar-Bi

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
You guys :rotflm: Cold has not even been described here yet. :eusa_hand
Try Growing up in Prince George, British Columbia and going to School with a temp of 50 below.
But like anything: Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.
Aren't memories grand?:eek:ccasion1

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
You guys :rotflm: Cold has not even been described here yet. :eusa_hand
Try Growing up in Prince George, British Columbia and going to School with a temp of 50 below.
But like anything: Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.
Aren't memories grand?:eek:ccasion1

You got a t-shirt??? my coldest memory, the thermometer was about an inch below the -40 mark.... or somewhere between -50 and -70. I walked out to the barn to take care of the horses, and it was a balmy 32 in the unheated barn. The walls were insulated with what might have been an R-8? and the ceiling was insulated with 300 bales of hay. The only heat in the building was that provided by the 5 large animals in there. When the building was an active ski-shop, (before the horses) we heated with a pot-bellied wood stove, which was still in place with the horses, but not something anyone would even think about leaving unattended.

Later, when I was in highschool, I have fond(?) memories of not actually being able to shift my '71 beetle out of first for much of my drive to school, it took that long to warm up the transmission on -20 days.

my snowiest memory was the '78 blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS