Compound mitered serving tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

justholler

New User
Richard
I am not very experienced with compound miters but I think that is what I need to use in this application. I want to build a serving tray but thought it would be nicer with beveled outside boards. So, if I choose a 15 degree bevel on the table saw to rip the outside "rails" to width, do I then compound the miter saw to 15 degrees and 45 on the miter? I tried this with some scraps but it didn't look like it worked. What do I actually do?

justholler

New User
Richard
I think maybe it's simpler to butt joint the ends, with a compound and a bevel, rather than miter joint them on a 45. I am starting to see more examples of this style.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
rip the bevel then bed the piece in the miter saw as you would crown molding.
I\ kinda like this

justholler

New User
Richard
rip the bevel then bed the piece in the miter saw as you would crown molding.
I\ kinda like this

I don't see anything...but you did make the light go off...I guess I rip the bevel (at 15) first, then compound at 15 with a 45 miter whilst laying the bevel flush to the miter saw bed. would it always be outward leaning since the serving tray would be considered an inside corner? That's the other question. THANKS

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
upside down and backwards. 15* to fence. like this fence > l\ < wood bevel up and to fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS