Compass Rose table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth,:BangHead: this is the start of my latest project a compass rose table. Since it's only got 6 points it's not exaxtly a rose, but that's what I'm calling it. There will be a 2 1/2" band around the rose and 6 legs. The woods are walnut, cherry and mahogany. I'm undecided on the choice of wood for the band and undercarriage either walnut or mahogany. Right now I'm leaning towards mahogany. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_0262.jpg
    100_0262.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 202

OriginalChong

New User
Al
I would suggest walnut. I think from a design perspective, if you chose anything lighter, it would take away from the center rose.

Looks AWESOME. Maybe someday I'll have time to learn to do something like that.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I like the mahogany idea. It needs something to accent it for a band in my personal opinion. I tend to agree with your idea but that’s just me.

skeeter

New User
Charles
That's one awesome table top. Lots of work involved.

I vote for walnut. Matching the legs and the outside ring of the top brings attention to the star! (Just my opinion.)

J

jeff...

Yep I vote for BW for the aprons and legs, I think it'll help the edges flow and not pull your eye away from the pretty top. That is really an awsome top, great work :icon_thum

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
simply amazing! beautiful top...I'm still too much of a newbie to suggest wood for the legs, but like others have said...keep the top the main focus!!

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Is it going to be solid wood or veneers?

That type of design is always done with veneers on a composition board substrate. The unequal expansion/contraction of solid wood cross grains will cause a solid wood table to self-destruct.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Yes , it is veneers that I cut from the scrap bin. The substrate is 3/4" birch plywood. The rest will be solid wood and it seems to be the consensus to go with walnut so I think that will be my choice.

OriginalChong

New User
Al
Is it going to be solid wood or veneers?

That type of design is always done with veneers on a composition board substrate. The unequal expansion/contraction of solid wood cross grains will cause a solid wood table to self-destruct.

I thought it was okay to mix and match hard woods. Does this mean if I had a design for mixed woods, that I would have to align them the same way or does this mean it depends on the size?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Very nice Larry!!! :eusa_clap The wood work well together and I think I would go with Walnut for the legs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I thought it was okay to mix and match hard woods. Does this mean if I had a design for mixed woods, that I would have to align them the same way or does this mean it depends on the size?

It is OK to mix different hardwoods together in a project, preferably they would have similar expansion/contraction rates. As long as you allow for wood movement and avoid cross grain joining you shouldn't have a problem. Wood moves much greater across the grain than it does with it. If you were to glue the end grain of one board to the side grain of another (both of significant width) the movement of the board joined in the end grain orientation would most likely cause it to split.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS