Coming events

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just throwing this out for planning and input while the old and new BoD can be included in the discussions. We have been invited to help/participate in two up coming Klingspors events:

Raleigh - September 11 Wood working Show Case

Hickory - 10th annual Extravaganza Oct 29 and 30

There is a planning meeting at 5:00 on June 15th with Klingspor and TWA. Any BoD member is welcome to attend.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Should we have a "western" NC picnic say in the fall? Quite a few members didn't make it from the further west part of the state, plus I heard several say this was their last time to Triangle as it is too far to drive.

M

McRabbet

I've had brief discussions with Andy Henderson (CaptnA) about having a picnic at the Asheville Firefighters Retreat early this fall in conjunction with both NCWW and the WNCWA. We would avoid the Hickory event and try to shoot for September or early October so folks could get to see at least part of our fall foliage. I believe we should support this event financially as well. I've also talked a little with Froglips about trying to schedule a shop crawl in conjunction with the picnic if possible.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As much as I would love to do the "Picnic in the Mountains" the fireman center is only available on Saturday November 6th. It is the weekend after Klingspor. Andy has it reserved so we need to decide soon. IMHO it is a month late but I would like you all to weigh in.

Rob any other places?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
How is this place to rent?

It might be worth polling the members to get an idea of how many would show up on that date. Just an idea.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Financially, we can do it with no issues whatsoever, and I am all for it. My only recommendation would be to cater the main dishes. As for dates, I have no bias or preference really, but November seems kind of late in the season to me.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I had a blast at the last mountain picnic. I am in full support of doing it again and in full support of us financing it. It was a very relaxed and soothing time.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I like the idea too. Can we associate a raffle with the WNC picnic? Seems to me that it would be both a good fundraising opportunity as well as a chance to promote equity across the state in terms of events.

As far as the food is concerned, rather than us making a preemptive decision about having it catered, why don't we see what the W-NCWW members would prefer? There may be the equivalent to a Bruce Wrenn out there that would like to do the Q.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
My only concern with associating a raffle with it, is that we can only have to rffles/year. Will this interfere with our 2 raffle/2 fundraiser schedule? Will we be able to integrate a raffle so everyone will participate?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Financially, we can do it with no issues whatsoever, and I am all for it. My only recommendation would be to cater the main dishes. As for dates, I have no bias or preference really, but November seems kind of late in the season to me.

+1

There must be some other place we could rent earlier

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am all in favor of this event and think it is right to fund at least part. In fact I was the one who asked CaptA to check into the site. Nov 6th is not good for me but I am just one person. As far as other locations I think we need to defer that to Rob.

M

McRabbet

I'll bring the proposal for a Picnic and a possible shop crawl up with the WNCWA Board of Directors and get their input on possible places to hold a picnic -- we use a Community Center in Fairview (just south of Asheville) for our club BBQ each fall, but I really think it is too small for an event that might draw 100-125 people. They do have an outside picnic area which we could use, but we'll need to talk about it and other possiblilities. If we can get a viable place and the WNCWA members will support it, we'll look into caterers as well.

As for the Raffle, we could kick it off at an event like this and then hold the drawing at the Hickory Klingspor event if they were separated by sufficient time (say five weeks). Of course, I haven't even written my vendor thank-you letters for this last one yet!

BTW, I am sending a separate PM to Travis for reimbursement of my shipping costs for sending four prizes to recipients that were not at the picnic -- total postage, insurance coverage and UPS cost was $46.77.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll bring the proposal for a Picnic and a possible shop crawl up with the WNCWA Board of Directors and get their input on possible places to hold a picnic -- we use a Community Center in Fairview (just south of Asheville) for our club BBQ each fall, but I really think it is too small for an event that might draw 100-125 people. They do have an outside picnic area which we could use, but we'll need to talk about it and other possiblilities. If we can get a viable place and the WNCWA members will support it, we'll look into caterers as well.

Thanks Rob.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
BTW, I am sending a separate PM to Travis for reimbursement of my shipping costs for sending four prizes to recipients that were not at the picnic -- total postage, insurance coverage and UPS cost was $46.77.

Check sent, but I don't think we should be paying for shipping of individual raffle prizes unless we are going to do it across the board. Dino paid for his own shipping and others had to pick up their prizes.

As for the picnic in Western NC, I am all for it.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS