Cold weather keeps delaying my projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

New User
Dan
My unheated shop is just too cold to allow me to stain and finish the table that I've been working on (or rather not working on) for months now. I was able to squeeze in a few days for glue-up a couple of weeks ago when the temperatures hovered in the 60s, but now I'm just waiting around again. I'm prepared to make some allowances and sacrifices in the name of the natural order of things...but the forecast is calling for more snow! Snow again? Really? This "El Nino" guy is really screwing me here. Anybody else out there dealing with the same problem? A little empathy could go along way to help improve my sullen state.

-Dan

b4man

New User
Barbara
This weather sucks. I am having the exact same issues here in GSO. I have a propane heater in my shop but there are certain task I need to do outside like belt sanding!

I totally understand your frustration!

:eek:ccasion1 To Spring!

Barbara

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bought a kerosene heater a few years back. Great investment. Shop time helps maintain my sanity during the winter when we are stuck inside.

Dragon

New User
David
Unheated shop huh? Well, ask anyone that's been to my place and you'll appreciate "having" a shop. My shop, as it is, consists of an 8X10 porch wrapped with Wal Mart blue tarps to break the wind and rain/snow. Go out, work from 15 to 30 mins. in sub-freezing :eek:weather, run back in and hug the heater. Repeat.

Yeah, I firmly agree this winter has really put a cramp in my plans. It's been either too cold, too wet, or too much snow combined with all the above for me to even fire up the chainsaw. I've got several trees that I've promised to cut, nice ones too, that nature just hasn't allowed me to get to. I prefer to cut during the winter but it's looking like I'm going to be cutting in spring and summer this year.:BangHead:

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
Hey Dan, for what it's worth, I'm in the same boat... cold shop. Fortunately I'm not in the middle of any projects right now but the wife sure has them lined up. Just got to wait for global warming to heat things up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Heater.jpg

$99 at Northern Tool

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Yes, like Dan I need to complete some finishing but it has just been too cold. Need to straighten up the shop too, but there again, cold, bad weather and opportunity have torpedoed that effort also.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I took a 230v 3500 watt electric heater I bought @ Lowe's a few years ago to the shop last month. Forgot & left it on a few days.:eek: If you think my shop is cold now, you shoulda seen the look LOML gave me when the power bill came in! :cry_smile
Since I put in a ceiling, I'm trying to figure if there's a way to send attic heat back down on days when the temp up there gets above 70 degrees. A simple fan & thermostat should do it. It would be nice to go into a warm shop when I get home without smelling kerosene fumes. :icon_cheers

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Have you thought about finishing it inside your house? I've done that a few times. If there is a room that you don't need to use for a few days and can be closed off from any pets, kids, etc I'd give it a go. :icon_thum

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I recently added an electric heater from Northern Tool to my shop. Well worth the $300. They're having a sale on some heaters now.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
i keep thinking about something like that, but I am also tempted by mini-split systems so I could cool the shop in the summer. not that any of these solutions are in the budget right now. We have some of the small portable HVAC systems in my store now, and I may receive approval from SWMBO to purchase one of these before summer comes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors