Coasters Completed

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Linc, Eric, and I were asked to make 60 sets of coasters for a company golf outing by a friend we play darts with. We were able to knock them out in 17 days. We did something every day and created a spreadsheet that tracked how many sets we needed to glue, rout, sand, finish, burn, touch-up in order to get them completed on time. We made progress every day and it helped seeing the #s go down each day we accomplished something.

We used 5/4 wood and cut ~17" strips to create a 4" wide set of coasters. We then resawed on the bandsaw to create 2 sets. I like to say that no two sets are identical because when I cut the coasters to ~4", I'd ensure squareness by flipping each coaster 90 degrees and cutting the edge (using the same stop block that set the crosscut to 4"). On one set, I'd flip 90 degrees one way and on the other set I'd flip 90 degrees the other way. When we burned the logo - I tried to make sure the logo was in the opposite corner for the 'duplicate' coasters just to ensure uniqueness.

We used a mixture of walnut, bloodwood, cherry, sapele, maple, and a little bit of ash. Drove an extra 30 minutes out The Hardwood Store for the wood. It was well worth the extra drive!

Attachments

• IMG-4602.jpg
    IMG-4602.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 144
  • 68057319633--309352E3-D012-4728-A4C6-406018329698.jpg
    68057319633--309352E3-D012-4728-A4C6-406018329698.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 132

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Good for you! Duplication work can get tiresome.
What did you use to burn the logo?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I love the process photo. It tells a lot and makes the end result all that much more impressive.
Thanks Bob. I'm sure I could have glued up a longer strip of wood but I'm not going for mass production. Even when I was cutting the thin strips, I'd tweak the fence in/out just a bit (again - trying to ensure no two sets are identical). Just a tad OCD.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS