CNC Router Forum

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi all,
I'm seriously considering a CNC router. I'm finding that the vast amount of info on Google and YouTube is overwhelming. Are there enough people interested to justify having a separate forum dedicated to CNC? I'd love to be the first to join (and learn).

Thoughts?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Hi all,
I'm seriously considering a CNC router. I'm finding that the vast amount of info on Google and YouTube is overwhelming. Are there enough people interested to justify having a separate forum dedicated to CNC? I'd love to be the first to join (and learn).

Thoughts?
What would you like to know?

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Everything... How about an article/manual for choosing, setup, software, etc.?
Hi Mike. On top of just having the forum available, I was hoping to talk with someone -- poke their brain before I drop a dollar or two. Am also looking to have a military crest printed as a trial. Would like to see what a 2" to 3" product would look like in something like a maple or mahogany. I an provide the file.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Echoing what Chris said, 'everything in CNC' is an extremely broad topic.

Let's start with the basics..this is a pretty good overview of the entire activity (I have no affiliation with the author etc).

Once or if you have a sense of the end-to-end workflow, we can dive into specific aspects like Mike Davis asked about: choosing, setup, software, etc.

One thing to bear in mind is that with hobby CNC'ing, Mark's Rule of Thumb (tm) says about 90% of your time will be spent in working with design software and only 10% actually cutting something.

-Mark

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Best advice I can give is buy biggest machine bed your budget can afford :) I went with a used ShopBot 4x8 and so glad I didn't get smaller bed.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Thoughts?
There are several NCWW CNC owners in the Triangle area and I think most would be willing to show you what they have and give you pros and cons before you put down any $$$. Much will depend on your budget, how much room you have for the machine, and what you want to make with it. I'm in Pittsboro and you are welcome to visit and see mine.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Had similar thoughts on a small CNC or laser. The info you find is way too much to absorb.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I also have a ShopBot Desktop Max with a 24" x 36" bed. I agree with what Mark said, most of your time is spent designing on the software. I use Vcarve Pro. Fortunately it came with my unit which the license was still transferable (just one time). Otherwise the license is around $2k. Mark, you've been to my shop. If you want to bring your crest file one day we can set it up and cut it.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I also have a ShopBot Desktop Max with a 24" x 36" bed. I agree with what Mark said, most of your time is spent designing on the software. I use Vcarve Pro. Fortunately it came with my unit which the license was still transferable (just one time). Otherwise the license is around $2k. Mark, you've been to my shop. If you want to bring your crest file one day we can set it up and cut it.
Price list from Vectric's website attached.

Attachments

• 01FA8574-1429-4322-8011-47D27A870CC3.png
    01FA8574-1429-4322-8011-47D27A870CC3.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 36

Echd

C
User
Vcarve or Vcarve Pro is probably the way to go for most people. It is simply excellent software. The only difference between the two is the max job size. I think vcarve is 24x24. Pro removes the size restriction. Aspire is vcarve pro with added 3d modeling features, but I've seen the aspire features and they don't mean much to me. If I was going to do that sort of work I have other programs I would prefer, especially for $1300 more than vcarve pro.

That said you can do a lot of work in Fusion 360, which is a free program (well, free for non business users anyway) but if you do not have a basis in fusion 360 you may find the initial experience jarring.

I have a onefinity and would give them a good look. They are an excellent system at a reasonable price with high quality components.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors