Cleaning Blades and Bits

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I need to clean quite a few router bits and saw blades. Have looked at Boeshield and CMT cleaners and they seem a little pricey$$

I'm wondering what members here use and would recommend as alternatives. Thanks

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I have always used simple green.
I tried some Dawn Power Wash to clean off the laser engraved residue from SS yeti type can holders I made ad Christmas gifts and the results were impressive.
I am going to see how well it works on a saw blade.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My blade cleaner is a free toothbrush from my dentist, a plastic bucket lid, and this from Dollar.25 Tree.
IMG_4897.jpeg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I need to clean quite a few router bits and saw blades. Have looked at Boeshield and CMT cleaners and they seem a little pricey$$

Use an orange/ citrus degreaser. Use a plastic oil pan (with spout) to soak the blade for an hour, then scrub with an old dishwasher brush. Clean. Same for router bits, but use Chinese takeout containers :) You can reuse the degreaser many times, simply store in a Chinese takeout container, the soup kind.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use the original LA'S Awesome from the buck and a quarter store. Do 10" blades in the lid from a five gallon bucket. Put blade into lid, spray it down, then add a second lid over top to slow evaporation. Come back in couple of minutes, then using tooth brush remove crud from blade, Rinse under running water, then dry well.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

But it takes so little to get the job done that it seems to last forever. or at least for many years.
bobby g

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Another vote for Trend:

View attachment 224810

A squirt of this and an old toothbrush works miracles. I'll never go back to all-purpose cleaners.
Another vote for the Trend cleaner. In general a purpose specific product will outperform a general purpose product. I used to do the Simple Green soak in a 5 gal bucket lid. I had to soak my TS blades for at least 2 hours, flip and respritz during the soak, and scrub with a stiff dishwashing brush. The scrubbing made such a mess I had to do it outside. With the Trend put a heavy spritz on the gummed up areas and a medium spritz on the rest of the blade. Let it soak for 15 minutes or longer. Wipe it off with paper towels. Attack any residue left with a fresh spritz and 10 minute soak followed by scrubbing with a toothbrush. One bottle will last for years.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I forget where I read this - liquid laundry soap. I poured a little over a saw blade and let it sit for 15 min or so, scrubbed with a toothbrush, and it worked as well as the stuff I got from lee valley….

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Another vote for Trend. Not that expensive & works fast & takes very little. I tried the cheap orange and other cleaners but I like something that works fast especially if I take out a blade & realize it needs cleaning. 10 min and back in business.

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
I let one soak in Simple Green and it removed the Ink on the blade :-(

Did a great job of cleaning the pitch off though.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another vote for Krud Kutter. Not only does it work well for soaking off resin, etc, it can be be reused multiple times. Works great for saw chains as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors