Classified Ad Policy Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

5 is a low post count, for posting on the classified section. What is the intention of this rule?

The intention is that someone needs to have a little interaction before selling their products. Our hopes are that the people that do not have any intention of being a part of this community will not join just to post their for sale items and never be any other thing to the community.

I would think the post count would be higher then. 5 is a one night stand (or less) on most sites. 100 would show their intention. (for that matter 50 would too)

No disrepect intended. Just my 2 cents.
David,

While 5 posts is a low number, we did want new members to have an opportunity to take advantage of selling through our Classified Ads. It had been set to 0 before now so people could register solely for the purpose of selling, which we do not want. If we see the post count minimum being abused, we will take appropriate action. Thanks for your input.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
As one of the business owners that supply specialty woods (and I support the idea of buying a sidebar add) I'm having a hard time understanding why "lumber runs" are supported with free postings but business owners have to purchase adds. We're already at a disadvantage by having to compete with people that don't have legitimate businesses with the overhead of a storefront, reporting sales taxes, insurance, advertising....we are being asked to stand by while members advise others to check e-bay and order woods from out of state via the internet then people wonder why our small stores close. Please level this playing field on this site and treat lumber runs the same as legitimate businesses.

Thank You,
Paula Labelle

+1

Kyle.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I'm glad to see this. Business is business. This site operates and sells business advertising. It is there if and when we want to see it.

Participating members who periodically offer things to each other at the remarkable deals we've seen out of kindness and fellowship can hardly be compared to someone running a business, lumber runs included, imo. I'd love to see any business match the deals the members on here routinely offer each other.

I keep moderating myself so I'll leave it at that. Can't overwork our mods:rotflm:

You have nailed it. Companies similar to Klingspor at the Charlotte location will continue to disappear.

One question how much are the fees before I make a decision regarding taking out an ad?

M

McRabbet

One question how much are the fees before I make a decision regarding taking out an ad?
A sidebar ad like the one for Klingspor Woodworking Shop is $50/month with a 3-month minimum. The advertiser provides the copy and we can set them up to link to a website. These ads are displayed on most website pages. The banner ads at the top and bottom are more expensive (it is a Google Ad). Please PM TracyP (or email webmaster@ncwoodworker.net) if you are interested in placing an ad.

By the way, you (and our other commercial members) may post a special wood offering in the Wood forum if it pertains to NCWW members only. If I recall correctly, you have done this several times in the past and that policy has not changed.

M

McRabbet

As one of the business owners that supply specialty woods (and I support the idea of buying a sidebar add) I'm having a hard time understanding why "lumber runs" are supported with free postings but business owners have to purchase adds. We're already at a disadvantage by having to compete with people that don't have legitimate businesses with the overhead of a storefront, reporting sales taxes, insurance, advertising....we are being asked to stand by while members advise others to check e-bay and order woods from out of state via the Internet then people wonder why our small stores close. Please level this playing field on this site and treat lumber runs the same as legitimate businesses.

Thank You,
Paula Labelle
A sidebar ad like the one for Klingspor Woodworking Shop is $50/month with a 3-month minimum. The advertiser provides the copy and we can set them up to link to a website. These ads are displayed on most website pages. The banner ads at the top and bottom are more expensive (it is a Google Ad). Please PM TracyP (or email webmaster@ncwoodworker.net) if you are interested in placing an ad.

By the way, you (and our other commercial members) may post a special wood offering in the Wood forum if it pertains to North Carolina Woodworker members only. If I recall correctly, you did this several times when you were based in Chapel Hill and that policy has not changed. We are trying to be fair to all commercial members, yet we want our regular members to benefit from special offerings (it might be as a discounted price or perhaps a donation to NC Woodworker). In order to maintain this as a free, non-profit website, we need advertising revenue as well.

lsorenson

New User
Lee
I would think the post count would be higher then. 5 is a one night stand (or less) on most sites. 100 would show their intention. (for that matter 50 would too)

No disrepect intended. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe some disrespect taken since my post count is a whopping what... 10 or 15 or so...! I don't know nor do I care as some just like to see themselves talk (or post in this case) like trying for a prize! 5 posts; I suppose would show intent because lets be honest here... If I had a really cool what ever the heck it is that you need and at a good price do you really care if I posted "that's a really cool tool man..." 5 times... 50 times.... heck, 500 times....? Because if it’s a good tool at a good price and I need it then I believe I would own it unless someone else jumped on it first...!!! Lets face it, unless I know (and I mean really know) who I am buying from its all a crap shoot anyway IF you buy site unseen… If it’s a high dollar tool I doubt if I would pluck down 1000.00 to some yahoo without checking it out first (not to say that I haven’t cause I have!!! A dust collector and planner)

What the heck would constitute a post anyway... A simple post stating "Cool tool Dude!"; "Wish it was not so far away"; "I got to have one of those"; "Darn, wish I saw it first"... are these really post??? No not really but if you’re looking at post counts then I guess it looks good...! Why would anyone really care about these numbers anyway because you can get some really good advice from someone with 4 posts and get some really bad advice from someone with 400 posts...!

Now that's just my 2 cents!!! And please trust me.... No offense meant to anyone!

lee (post count just went up by one...) :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS