Classes, workshops, training

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Some of the long term members may know that I held a sharpening class for three women against the wishes of the founder of this forum. They wanted to learn without the condescension that they had experienced in classes before.

That class was the start of workshops and classes and eventually the Outreach Program here.

We continue to offer low cost/free classes from several volunteer teachers and I would like to expand these opportunities. In order to do that we need more volunteers to teach and to help with the classes. If you would like to teach please contact me or one of the Board members and we will help you to start.

I am also looking for other educational opportunities for the members and especially underserved youth, non traditional woodworkers, and anyone who is uncomfortable with traditional male dominated industrial classes.

As usual I have not cleared this with anyone and only hope to gain the support of the Board and members. This is my thoughts and goals only. I think most will agree that the classes have been valuable and helpful and I hope to get a lot of new people involved. This is a grassroots movement that everyone should take advantage of as a trainer or student.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Grass roots is really what we are about. The members are the driving force here. While I enjoy teaching, I enjoy being a student even more. If you have technics, entire skill sets or a small one day project with many technics you would like to share we would like to hear about it. If you have never presented a class before we can help you prepare. I know from experience that it can seem daunting putting together the materials and how to organize what and how you want to present. I have used my training from teaching while in the Army, teaching and training in commercial shops and teaching training in the field to train myself in putting together the workshops I have put on. I can tell you that I have gotten better as I have put on workshops of different subjects, and I’m still learning. Presenting to a room of five and six friends is less nerve racking than standing in front of 100. A room of six while teaching a skill is really all one instructor can or should handle to convey the information well. I have always walked away from the experience with ideas of how to improve the presentation. But the most and my favorite part of the experience is watching the light bulb moments while I show folks how you do the tasks in a project. So if you have an idea for a workshop please share we really want to know.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would be happy to assist with instructing in the realm of woodturning. However, I do not have personally multiple lathes or tool sets to do this but will happily facilitate classes if the NCWW tools are available. I have been teaching turning at the Falcon Children's Home woodshop and in other limited venues.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would be happy to assist with instructing in the realm of woodturning. However, I do not have personally multiple lathes or tool sets to do this but will happily facilitate classes if the NCWW tools are available. I have been teaching turning at the Falcon Children's Home woodshop and in other limited venues.
Do you know other craft folks around Fayetteville? Kurt Ballash is looking for artisans in other crafts to teach and help build a maker community.

www.ballashwoodworks.com

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Some of the long term members may know that I held a sharpening class for three women against the wishes of the founder of this forum. They wanted to learn without the condescension that they had experienced in classes before.

That class was the start of workshops and classes and eventually the Outreach Program here.

We continue to offer low cost/free classes from several volunteer teachers and I would like to expand these opportunities. In order to do that we need more volunteers to teach and to help with the classes. If you would like to teach please contact me or one of the Board members and we will help you to start.

I am also looking for other educational opportunities for the members and especially underserved youth, non traditional woodworkers, and anyone who is uncomfortable with traditional male dominated industrial classes.

As usual I have not cleared this with anyone and only hope to gain the support of the Board and members. This is my thoughts and goals only. I think most will agree that the classes have been valuable and helpful and I hope to get a lot of new people involved. This is a grassroots movement that everyone should take advantage of as a trainer or student.
Mike/Richard: I am not a teacher but most assuredly can help with financial assistance for tools, materials, etc.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Do you know other craft folks around Fayetteville? Kurt Ballash is looking for artisans in other crafts to teach and help build a maker community.

www.ballashwoodworks.com

I just saw Kurt's post and your conversation with him. Should he get that space up and running we could potentially use it to host turning classes or other classes from NCWW. We will see what he actually does because nothing is set in stone.

Down here, there are a few people I have come across that dabble various things wood. Not sure who would be interested in anything like we are theorizing right now though.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I just saw Kurt's post and your conversation with him. Should he get that space up and running we could potentially use it to host turning classes or other classes from NCWW. We will see what he actually does because nothing is set in stone.

Down here, there are a few people I have come across that dabble various things wood. Not sure who would be interested in anything like we are theorizing right now though.
Yeah, he seems to be looking for instructors in other crafts like stained glass, blacksmith, pottery, metal crafts, etc. Not so much woodworking. But, you might want to pay him a visit anyway.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Who was it that did the intarsia class?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep - no activity on the site and his website seems to point to no where?!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep - no activity on the site and his website seems to point to no where?!
Mike is still doing intarsia. He is very active on Facebook posting in several intarsia groups as well as the NCWW Facebook group.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Who was it that did the intarsia class?
I know a thing or two about intarsia. The best intarsia classes you can ever take are the ones offered by Judy Gale Roberts of TN. I took two of her classes. Her classes are three full days of hands on training. Here is her website:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know a thing or two about intarsia. The best intarsia classes you can ever take are the ones offered by Judy Gale Roberts of TN. I took two of her classes. Her classes are three full days of hands on training. Here is her website:
Thanks Scott - I was waiting for you to say that!
I think I saw an eagle or something recently... LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS