Chuck for Jet Lathe Model JWL-1221VS

rhsimmons1124

New User
Richard
Are there any suggestions for a chuck to hold round or square stock 1.25 to 2. 5 in. Any suggestions of model chuck which is compatable with the Jet Lathe model I have?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No sure I understand what the issue is. You can use a 4 jaw chuck (Oneway, Nova or other) to secure round or square stock pretty easily. This is a common thing to do. If you want to hold something smaller than the chuck opening, normally you can superglue shims to your stock or you can add spacers.... Clarify the question further please.

rhsimmons1124

New User
Richard
I am looking to secure round or square stock to drill a hole through for making fishing or fly rod handles. I have looked and talked to a few vendors and it seems I need a arbor. I am trying to find a complete chuck assembly compatable with a Jet JWL-1221-WS wood lathe. I saw a chuck while at the custom rod show in Winston Salem, NC used by Morris Schlesinger. I am trying to find a compatable chuck to fit the Head Stock on the Lathe. All the parts for the Chuck. As you see I am a novice and trying to learn. Thank you for your time.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a multi part process. Secure to the lathe chuck/jaw and drill center out. Then mount the resulting piece on a mandrel like an oversized pen to shape to final size.

Check local Fastenal or Graingers for round threaded rod that fits your requirements, use nylon cones to keep your lathe tools away from the metal fasteners on the threaded rod.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Looking up the JWL-1221VS, the headstock has a spindle thread size of 1"x8. That's the number you want to look for when getting a chuck. My Rikon midi lathe has a 1"x8 thread, and I used a Nova G3 chuck on it. Some of the G3's are direct thread, meaning the chuck will only fit the specified thread, while others are inserts, where you buy an insert that matches the thread of your headstock. You can get a variety of different jaws that fit on the chuck for different size work.

Depending on where you are, pop into a local Woodcraft or Klingspor store, and they should be able to guide you to the right chuck and jaws you'll need. That Jet is a pretty common lathe, and will be easy to find a compatible chuck.

iclark

Ivan
User
Jet makes it harder to find the spindle size than they should. The key spec that you need is that the drive spindle is 1" diameter and 8 threads per inch. Some chucks use adapters to get from a manufacturer's tapped chuck hole to a lathe's spindle (handy when you change lathes and only need to change the adapter). Other chucks are sized for specific spindle sizes.

I do not like mixing righty tighty chucks with righty loosie chucks (varies by manufacturer). So, most of my chucks are Nova.

For what you are doing (drilling length-ways through a handle), I would use a Nova G3 or a Nova Supernova2 chuck with the Nova Pen Plus jaw set.

If you want to turn the handle after drilling (gives better concentric results), you can do that by holding the handle blank with a pen turning mandrel. You will need a mandrel for a MT2 spindle taper.

Other brands and techniques would work as well. This is just how I would do it with the tools/accessories in my shop.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I saw a video of a comparison of a Nova chuck to a Nagu (Amazon purchased) Chinese chuck. Side by side you really couldn't tell the difference. Please several of the components came with the Nova name cast into them. Might want to check Amazon for a Nagu lathe chuck and check it out!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Sounds like you are looking for a nova Chuck and spigot jaws. Go to a local Klingspor’s or Woodcraft to look before you purchase. Take the model # of your lathe with you.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Look up nova’s 1 1/2“ multi project jaws. I tried to copy the link but my iPad isn’t putting it here.
The jaws are great for drill out blanks like you are wanting to do. They fit any nova chuck and are on sale as of this morning.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS