Christmas ornaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Getting into the holiday spirit, I tried cutting out some ornaments this weekend. The patterns were copied from a Wood magazine last year just before the holidays. They were batch cut in sets of 3.

First ones were cut from scrap oak ply. I used a spiral blade which cuts in all directions. I don't think I like this type blade. Maybe I'm just not good enough (or experienced enough) to use that type.

turnings_001.jpg

These last two were from scrap Zebrawood.

turnings_002.jpg

Although these are simple designs, they gave me a new respect for you scrollers and the beautiful work you create. (And your patience!)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
First ones were cut from scrap oak ply. I used a spiral blade which cuts in all directions. I don't think I like this type blade. Maybe I'm just not good enough (or experienced enough) to use that type.
(And your patience!)

Charles - first I would like to say GREAT job:icon_thum They look great - 2nd when you want to cut something like these ornaments you need to use a straight blade so that you can get the straight cuts - you only want to use a spirial on something that doesn't really matter about the straight cuts - something like the tigers that I have done

Or the Shar-Pei

I used a straight cut on the portrait of Jesus praying

Hope this helps
Phillip

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nice work :icon_thum I really like the zebrawood ones :eusa_clap

spirals are a bit tough to use for ornament work, but as Phillip showed, they're great for portrait work. I use them for veining and inside cuts sometimes
I use Flying Dutchman blades when I flat blade and their " ultra reverse " is the best driving blade I have found . much easier to cut a straight line with them as the " drift " is not as severe as with other blades

Good job bro :thumbs_up

cskipper

Cathy
Those look great! I don't prefer a spiral blade for things like ornaments due to the "rough" edges. They would probably be good for areas you aren't concerned with the smoothness of the edges.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work Charles. Those Zebra wood ones are real cool. I totally concur on the blade comments made by others. Let me also add that if you used reverse tooth blades it would eliminate 99% of the tear-out you have to sand off on the back of the ornaments.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I use the spiral blade on almost everything. I never worry about the fuzzies on the back of my work. They are easy to remove in about 30 seconds. If you use a propane blowtorch, they come right off. BUT BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO IT AWAY FROM EVERYTHING. Light touches of the flame will burn off everything. I haven't sanded the back of a scroll for years, after I figured it out.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I use the spiral blade on almost everything. I never worry about the fuzzies on the back of my work. They are easy to remove in about 30 seconds. If you use a propane blowtorch, they come right off. BUT BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO IT AWAY FROM EVERYTHING. Light touches of the flame will burn off everything. I haven't sanded the back of a scroll for years, after I figured it out.

I do this with all of my portrait work because of the delicate pices within the portrait - if anyone does this for the first time make sure you do it BEFORE you put any kind of cleaner - varnish - stain etc. It will burn it up!:kamahlitu

I usually sand all of my other work -

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I as well use only spryal blades it was what I learned on and I never did get the hang of the straight blades. I just burn the fuzzies awav and go on with what I am doing,

Mark
:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS