Christmas money project

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott hamm

New User
scott
heres what i've been working on for a few weeks.
it's approx. 8 ft tall x 12 wide at the widest point.
it's made using bending plywood and white birch veneer and painted with
oil based enamel.
i'm going to sell this to buy christmas for the family.

now you know what i've been up to.
scott

Attachments

• Hatteras.jpg
    Hatteras.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 188

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That is a very impressive project. I don't believe I would ever have the gumption, let along the skill, to pull it off. It looks really great.

Any chance of posting a few more pics without the glare. I'd love to see more of the detail work.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is really cool. It should be a good Xmas at your house with the proceeds from that fine piece of workmanship. Could you give any more details about it's construction, I would be very interested in how you calculated and formed the taper cylinder, and then veneered it.
Dave:)

scott hamm

New User
scott
well, i just took a partial piece of the ply and formed it around a 6in top and a 11in bottom that i doubled to make 1-1/2" pieces.
the veneer was just gluad with standard contact adhesive abd wrapped around the body and trimmed at the overlap and sanded the edges smooth.
i use to work ay a fab shop and had made many cones and ovals with metal, so this was easy to do..
i did screw 3/4" strip on the inside of the bending ply to join the two parts.
the globe is a large coleman lantern globe so it'll last.
for the base and top i used 7/8" exterior ply.
to make the top i cut pieces on the bandsaw at approx 60 degrees and glued them together and sanded them smooth then covered it with veneer.
it was a job to do and keep me out of trouble.
heres some more pics, you may have to edit them with your pic program if you can.
scott

scott hamm

New User
scott
let me try this again.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 180
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 178
  • windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 162

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I saw an interesting program on pbs about a guy on the outerbanks that builds lighthouse replica's for a living. He had a good system for making them very efficiently.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I saw that same program a few months ago. pretty cool operation.

Nice looking lighthouse!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Scott kool lighthouse man.I've wanted to build one of those for a while mom really loves them and I've wanted too build one for her. Haven't seen anyone say what lighthouse it is.Looks like Hatteras to me.

M

McRabbet

Scott -- great job making an excellent replica of the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. You did a great job capturing the details of the railing up top, the windows on the body and the multi-sided stone base.

As an interesting side story, before I retired in 2003, I hired a geotechincal engineer to assist our team while building the 1.2 million square foot research center for EPA in Research Triangle Park. He was the lead engineer that designed the structural requirements for the temporary roadway and final foundation for the Lighthouse when it was moved inland in 1999. Talk about a big responsibility! It has to be one of the most ambitious civil engineering projects ever undertaken. Here are some interesting pictures taken during the move.

Rob

scott hamm

New User
scott
i had wanted to build this for a while and finally got to it.
if anyone wants to build one, i do have a few more pieces of bending ply.
but, be prepared to help get to it.
it's buried in behind a bunch of other plywood in the storage unit and we'll have to dig it out.
if this one sells good i may make another, it'll go faster as i have worked out the bugs.
Thanks for the kudo's,
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS