Chisels for inletting a lock plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I am trying my hand at building a Longrifle, a flintlock. This is the lock plate that needs to be inlet into the side panel of the stock, which is ash.
My tools and my experience are limited to say the least. In as much as I will likely need to purchase suitable chisels, I'm looking for advice on what shapes might be best to get a clean edge, especially in the contours of the outline. I intend to mark the outline of the plate with an exacto knife, and then remove the majority of the wood with a straight chisel. My concern is how do I bring the mortise edge out to meet the scribed line cleanly in the areas that are not straight?.
Advice appreciated!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF9901.jpg
    DSCF9901.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCF9946.jpg
    DSCF9946.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 179

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Never done this, but I'd use two gouges, one with a 5 or 6 sweep for the gentle curves and one with an 8 or 9 sweep for the tighter curves. Dan (danmart77) makes beautiful repro guns and I bet he'll chime in with a good answer if he's around.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Richard - we have some experts here and Dan (danmart77) is one of them when it comes to this!
I would wait for his input and if you are up for a 4 hour round trip - ask for his help possibly in person...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will probably need a v-gouge to define the edges. Other than that a #5 would be a good choice. But Dan probably knows better than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS