Chisel serendipity

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Several years ago whilst out of town helping our niece, I bought this Buck Bros. chisel as a beater to make some repairs.
IMG_4182.jpeg

Over time it has become my go to when I need to quickly chop or pare something. Despite the CPS handle, this chisel feels right when paring and although being thick, it pares nicely. The general heft and handle shape seem to be pluses. A cheap chisel shouldn’t feel this good!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have an old Stanley with a similar-looking handle that is one of my two beaters. It's been chipped, dropped and dulled so many times and then reground that it's gotta be a half-inch shorter than it was when I got it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have one of those and a 2" both are still my beaters but they really keep an edge, I love'em

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Based on the handle, this isn’t a classic Buck of a century ago which were very good chisels.

In general the issue with carpenter grade chisels is edge retention. The quality of steel just isn’t there. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t get results - just keep your sharpening stuff handy!

Many moons ago I started with a set of blue handled Irwin “Marples” chisels (I wonder how much the name cost them). Before that I was using StanIey carpenters chisels. I probably had 10 hours invested in flattening the backs 🙄. At the time, a major step up. I chopped many a dovetail despite the high side bevels, now I use them when I need a firmer chisel. I still recommend them to newbies as their starter set.

Since then I’ve progressed through Narex, Stanley 750, and Lie Nielsen. No, I don’t need them, but a LN chisel in your hand —— nice. 😁

Last edited:

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
I just sharpened my Irwin marples yesterday.
Yes I'm a newbie and yes I came from the carpenter chisels. Cut a bolt? No problem hit it with a grinder and back in bidness. 😀

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I have one very similar to that.

Thanks to Mike's excellent instruction a couple of weeks ago, I was able to make great progress on sharpening it during a very long Teams meeting today.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors