Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I rarely go to CCL as they seem to pricy for me but I needed a small amount of cherry to finish a project & was in Raleigh anyway. Surprised to find they had a sale on 4/4 s2s cherry for $3.75 bdft. Had plenty when I was there and what I saw looked good. Note this sale is only for 4/4 s2s.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've found it beneficial to keep an eye out for their sales. They typically have at least one species/size on sale, and these are usually pretty good. You can find the full price list for their Spring hardwoods sale online.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
what was actual thickness?
Bradley: That has been my problem with Capital in the past. What they call 4/4 is actually 3/4 after they have machined S2S. To get 1" thick you have to buy 5/4 that they have machined to 4/4.
As you know in building furniture. you need to joint one surface flat and then thickness plane. 3/4" stock doesn't allow you to do that.
Just my opinion.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The S2S 4/4 beech I bought there is 15/16". Thickness could be different for different species or batches.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
They do have a lot of sales but I find the 60 mile trip to The Hardwood Store of NC is worth it. CCL thickness is not 4/4. Usually closer to 7/8. Not nearly the selection and the quality of boards isn't great. I find the staff at CCL super nice though. In a pinch - I will go to CCL.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Bradley: That has been my problem with Capital in the past. What they call 4/4 is actually 3/4 after they have machined S2S. To get 1" thick you have to buy 5/4 that they have machined to 4/4.
As you know in building furniture. you need to joint one surface flat and then thickness plane. 3/4" stock doesn't allow you to do that.
Just my opinion.
When dealing with s2s, I believe it is the industry standard to report the pre-s2s thickness. So, yes, 4/4 s2s is actually 3/4" thick. Just like the famous 2x4 being 1.5"x3.5". :cool:

BKHam

Bradley
User
When dealing with s2s, I believe it is the industry standard to report the pre-s2s thickness. So, yes, 4/4 s2s is actually 3/4" thick. Just like the famous 2x4 being 1.5"x3.5". :cool:
15/16 something QS, I think i can handle. however, in flat sawn cherry which in my past moves quite a bit, that's not thick enough. to be fair, i think 3/4 looks meager and I like a finished thickness of 7/8 most of the time.

also, i've gotten case hardened wood from there and then 4/4 s2s is definitely not going to cut it.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
7/8-15/16 is fair for 'skip planed' S2S lumber. That's what CCL is advertising (skip-planed S2S I mean).

I'd rather they sell it rough, but they don't (in Mark's world: rough>skip planed S2S >dressed S2S)

If you've gotten case-hardened wood, that sounds like a drying defect and CCL should want to work with you on that.

As an aside, we're in a bizarro world when CCL is selling soft maple for more than cherry.

-Mark

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
7/8-15/16 is fair for 'skip planed' S2S lumber. That's what CCL is advertising (skip-planed S2S I mean).

I'd rather they sell it rough, but they don't (in Mark's world: rough>skip planed S2S >dressed S2S)
-Mark
What Mark said is 100% correct about rough, skip planed and fully dressed lumber. 4/4 lumber has to clean up to a minimum of 3/4" after fully dressed, 5/4 cleans up at a full 1", 6/4 cleans up 1-1/4" and etc. For hardwoods, the standard is to saw lumber from the log at 1/8" oversize. So, rough sawn 4/4 lumber should come off the sawmill at 1-1/8" thickness, 5/4 at 1-3/8", etc.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors