Cheap Dremel Router Base Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Take a lens holder/focusing frame from an old photo enlarger (you youngins will need to Wikipedia that...it was something we had to use before digital photos) and screw a Dremel into it

Homemade_Dremel_rouiter_base__by_beelzebubby.jpg

http://beelzebubby.deviantart.com/art/Homemade-Dremel-router-base-66042700

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I bought a "macroscope" (similar to a microscope but for looking at things like coins, bugs, etc) at the thrift store planning to do just that. It was cheap because it didn't work. But before I destroyed it, I peeked inside and found out a prism had come loose and just needed to be put back and given a dab of glue at one edge. The the kids took it...

Anyway, I have a Dremel router base and still think this is not a bad idea. The one I have (an actual Dremel product; not sure if they have upgraded it) is not as rigid as I would like. It is plastic and will flex a little. However, it does have the handles and they help a lot.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I have 3 of the plunge bases for Dremel/Bosch small routers. One is made by Milescraft and autolocks. Another (metal) will mount either Dremels or Rotozips, and the one that Andy mentioned.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
And given a choice, how often do you use the plastic one? Ever? :)
Actually, it is okay for really fine tips. But I used mine to route a channel just yesterday and it is slightly scalloped. If I would move it more slowly and evenly it wouldn't be as prone to do that, I guess. :dontknow:
But that's just not how I roll... :rolf:

sawduster

New User
Robert
I use one with a drill bit chuck on the dremel for drilling entry holes in my scroll pieces :icon_thum
The clear plastic is perfect for that :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors