Cheap container to soak blades in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I want to soak some table saw blades in Simple Green for a few hours to remove the pitch. Anyone have a good suggestion for something large enough but cheap to do this in? :dontknow: I thought of a paint roller pan, but the sloped bottom would waste alot of solution.

Thanks,

Doug

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
How about cutting the bottom off a 5 gallon bucket....they're usually free!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
What about a cookie sheet? (for baking cookies)? You could probably get 2 - 4 blades per sheet, and it's flat and shallow.

I like Randy's idea about using the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, but I don't think that you'd need to cut the bucket down - just lay the blades flat in the bottom and cover them with enough solution to clean them.

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Oil pan. The notch/ spout makes it easy to pour the solution back in the container. You can pick one up for < $2 at Harbor Freight, Advance Auto Parts, Wal-Mart etc. It will easily accomodate table saw blades, but it's a little too small for 13" planer blades (DAMHIKT).

Badabing

New User
Joe
Last month, Rockler.com had their blade cleaning kit on sale and free shipping, so I bought it. I haven't used it yet but the container it came with is exactly the same one that Harbor Freight sells for changing the oil on a vehicle (here). Not sure of the price but IRC, it's only a couple o' bucks at HF. Hope that helps :cool:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I also use the harbor freight oil pan. I like the spout to be able to pour back the solution because it is reusable. Just my $.02

-Marco

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I went to the local Dollar Store and picked up a plastic container that has a 11" bottom and about 4" tall. Works great and cost little.

Steve W

New User
Steve
+1 for the 5-gallon (aka joint compound) bucket, used whole.

If you're reusing the Simple Green, you can use a funnel to pour it back or go with the oil change pan previously mentioned.

The bucket's nice because you can scrub it with the brush in there with very little splash from the brush escaping the container.

I've used those buckets for everything from washing cars to soaking bird feeders to making beer.:eek:ccasion1

:kermit: Steve

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Let me guess - a dollar?

:tool:

Were you there when I bought it??? :rotflm:

Also, if you don't have any 5gal buckets, stop by a Firehouse Subs and you can buy and old pickle bucket (5gal) for $2 (a donation to something)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
+1 for the 5-gallon (aka joint compound) bucket, used whole.

If you're reusing the Simple Green, you can use a funnel to pour it back or go with the oil change pan previously mentioned.

The bucket's nice because you can scrub it with the brush in there with very little splash from the brush escaping the container.

I've used those buckets for everything from washing cars to soaking bird feeders to making beer.:eek:ccasion1

:kermit: Steve

Just don't use them as a step stool.....DAMHIKT :oops::5dunce:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
We throw a frisbee around a lot in the summer. A larger size frisbee works like a champ, although not as cheap as the Dollar Store solution. :)

Chuck

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Man this could go on forever. If you plan on going to the store to buy something.Just ride by any construction site you can pickup a 5gal. bucket for free.:icon_chee

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I just open up a few sections of the Charlotte Observer on the floor, lay the blade on it, spray it real well with the CMT cleaner and let it soak for ~15 minutes. No problem getting the gradue off with a few paper towels. Flip the blade over and repeat.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yer s'pose to turn 'em upside down for a step stool. They're more stable that way. I've seen papar hangers do this & screw 'em off to a 2 x 8 for a 'hop bench'..... even made it adjustable by putting another bucket inside the first one! 'course I wouldn't want OSHA to come by 'bout then........

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yer s'pose to turn 'em upside down for a step stool. They're more stable that way.....

Now you tell me:eusa_doh:. I reckon the bottom is stronger than the lid. But what are you supposed to do when it's full of peach paint :5eek:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors