Chamfer plane gets fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
So I picked up this really nice chamfer plane. Had a few issues. First, the box is too tight. Next, the blade is missing. Didn't seem like showstoppers to me.

IMAG0284.jpg

First up was to remove the stuck box. That took about 10 minutes of careful work. I was able to use soft pine as a punch and tease it out from the top. My first thought was that the wooden body had shrunk over the past 100+ years. To my surprise, the box fit perfectly. The problem was the brass rod in the middle. It was tapped for the adjuster screws. Sloppy apprentice did not seat it properly--left about 1/32 proud. I just filed it off.
IMAG0285.jpg

Then I made a blade. The body was just shy of 1 1/2" (maybe it DID shrink a bit). Anyway, I found some 3/16" stock and ground it to fit. It is ready for a trip to the heat treater.

IMAG0286.jpg

Here is the mouth. The 3/16" blade is quite thick and I may need to open the mouth a bit.

T

toolferone

Coming along nice. Are you going to do any clean up on the body?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have only bought three items from that site. 2 used chisels and 1 sander. No complaints with what I got, I am just not yet accomplished enough on the site as of yet. I suspect I will be watching a bit more in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors