Challenging project from harpsichord land

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Recently there was a thread (which I can't find now) about your most challenging project. Here's mine.

When I was still living in NY one of my clients called with the most unusual commission I ever had. It seems his wife's grandfather was a case builder for the Steinway piano company about 90 years ago. In his spare time he built three miniature grand piano cases into which he installed a rather large (by today's standards) radio. He gave each of his three granddaughters one of these beautiful creations. What a master craftsman this man was!

My client, a professional musician and music director for Sesame Street, loved this radio piano but always wished he could actually play it. So he asked if it were possible to convert it into a working harpsichord. And that's how I got involved in this most interesting, and stress filled project. I thought some of you may be interested in how this was done. I sorted through over 200 photos of the conversion and picked eleven to post. Please forgive the length of this post but without all eleven photos the process wouldn't make any sense - it still may not.

Here is a photo of the case in the beginning of the conversion. The radio and some structural parts have already been removed.

A5.JPG

Next, the front stretcher is replaced with a new one made of walnut.

B3.JPG

Next, the new pinblock is glued to the case sides and new front stretcher.

B11.JPG

Next, the curved soundboard liners are laminated using the actual case as a form. The liners are laminated using four pieces of 1/8" thick poplar. Laminating is the case was much easier than making a rather complicated form.

B9.JPG

On the workbench are most of the new parts that were fabricated for the job (soundboard blank, pinblock, soundboard liners, keyboard, and a few other misc. pieces.

C3.JPG

In the next photo, the pinblock, registers, case braces, and liners have been installed into the case.

D11.JPG

Next, the plan that I drew is placed on top of the soundboard and the position of the bridge, bridge pins, and hitchpins are transfered to the soundboard with an awl.

F11.JPG

Next, the soundboard has been shaped to fit into the case. This is the underside of the soundboard showing the 4' hitchpin rail, the cut-off bar, and the ribs which have been glued to the board.

C7.JPG

Now, the moment of truth. The soundboard, which Sandy has already decorated, is glued into the case. At the front of the board clamps are used. Around the perimeter, small nails are used as clamps. These nails are removed after the glue dries.

G12.JPG

Next the instrument is strung and the action is installed and regulated. The next photo shows the finished instrument. In the background is a full sized harpsichord to give you an idea of the scale of the conversion.

I11.JPG

And finally, the final photo.

final.jpg

That about it. This conversion was done about 10 years ago and is still playing just fine. I kept the plans just in case the other two radio-pianos come my way.

Ernie

M

McRabbet

Ernie - superb work and obviously a labor of love with beautiful results. One question, however.
The soundboard, which Sandy has already decorated, is glued into the case. At the front of the board clamps are used. Around the perimeter, small nails are used as clamps. These nails are removed after the glue dries.
How do you deal with potential splitting of the soundboard as a solid (glueup) piece secured all around its perimeter? I would think it would have a tendency to want to pull away at the sides with any moisture changes.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice!

Rob - from my experience with smaller soundboards, the flexibility of woods used in sound boards is every bit as important as the sonic quality. You must have both. Spruce is preferred over fir mostly because a lot of fir tops crack (but they sound great until they do).

T

toolferone

Beautiful work! How was the customers reaction to the finshed piece?

nelsone

New User
Ed
What great project with a really neat story!

I was thinking along the same lines as Rob regarding movement. Do you have much problem with wood movement on those sound boards? Obviously, this one has been going strong for ten years, so it's apparently not too big of an issue.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Regarding wood movement and splitting of the soundboard. The board MUST be glued securely everywhere it touches wood. That said, when the humidity attacks the board it will swell in the middle where it's free to move. It may swell upwards or downwards (in a harpsichord it doesn't really matter which but in a piano swelling downwards is a big problem). In the winter it will shrink as it dries out. If the shrinking is excessive the soundboard will crack. This has little if any negative effect on the tone (some people think it actually improves the tone) but it looks terrible. To avoid this as much as possible, the soundboard is dried just before it is glued into the case. The theory is that if the board is drier when it is installed than it will ever be in a customers home the board will not crack. However, if it is too dry when installed it may cause excessive swelling in the summer. Add to that the fact that the builder doesn't always know where the instrument will end up. Here's where experience counts... developing a feel for how much drying to do. One of my goals is to figure this out before my 90th birthday.

By the way, a harpsichord soundboard is about 1/8" thick (less than that in certain areas, especially edges) and a piano soundboard is about 3/8" thick. Henry Steinway once said that he was amazed whenever he saw an older Steinway piano that DIDN'T have soundboard cracks. The instrument owner can do much to prevent cracks by efficient humidity control in the room where the instrument lives.

Ernie

nelsone

New User
Ed
developing a feel for how much drying to do. One of my goals is to figure this out before my 90th birthday.

You better get cracking! Or should that be un-cracking!

Thanks for the detailed explaination. It really makes a lot of sense when you detail it out like you did!

M

McRabbet

Ernie,

We appreciate the full explanation about the sound board dynamics -- certainly the species of wood (spruce, I guess), the thickness and the long-term exposure conditions guide success or failure. Very interesting.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing Ernie, I can see why you considered it a challenge. I cannot imagine fitting new innards to 90+ year old casework :swoon: As usual, you two did beautiful work :wsmile:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for all your kind words. I should have included a photo of my scrap pile. It's usually filled with pieces of wood cut too short, or too narrow, or out of square. I'm thinking of buying a ruler.

Ernie :gar-Bi

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks to all for all your kind words. I should have included a photo of my scrap pile. It's usually filled with pieces of wood cut too short, or too narrow, or out of square. I'm thinking of buying a ruler.

Ernie :gar-Bi

We'll have to get you started with some turning to use up some of that scrap! Pens work great for that!!!:wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS