Chair Scoop Using Table Saw

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I decided to try a chair seat scoop on my table saw based on a YouTube video I found from Mario Rodriguez. The video is about 10 years old and after I got into it, I found some minor details were missing. I figured out the missing details and gave it a try. After doing my first one, I found the V-notch used to pivot the seat didn't result in a consistent shape. I played with the shape, but ultimately, it doesn't hold the pivot point well enough for the final shape. The solution I came up with works, but it's a bit clumsy. You will see in the pictures I used a removable pivot piece that is located with pins and held in place with a clamp. It works OK because you only need to use it for the first and last cuts. If I were to do it again I would make a pivot piece like I show in my drawings. That piece could be hinged, or slide back on forth to make it easier to operate.

Below is a link to the Mario Rodriguez video and some pictures of my setup. I've also attached some drawings with all the details. I made .pdf files of the drawing in both color and black and white. I thought the color version would be nice because it shows each piece in a different color, however I found it was harder to read. You'll also have to excuse me for using decimals, but after years of working that way...that's just how I roll.

Attachments

• V-Povot-1.jpg
    V-Povot-1.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 47
  • V-Pivot-2.jpg
    V-Pivot-2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 54
  • Pin Pivot-2.jpg
    Pin Pivot-2.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Pin Pivot-1.jpg
    Pin Pivot-1.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Chairscoop.jpg
    Chairscoop.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 47

Claus

Claus
User
I’ve seen that video and a couple others with the same concept. Kinda left me scratching my head. I appreciate your write up and comments/additions.

How did the seat turn out? I’d love to see some pictures of that.

thanks

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
How did the seat turn out? I’d love to see some pictures of that.

thanks
Thanks, I’m not done yet, but here are some pictures. One is just after the blade depth was set. The other is after completing and sanding. I still need to cut the seat to the shape I want.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS