Chain saw Mill Ripping Chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
All-
I've a buddy who just picked up a chain saw mill kit from Northern Tool, and has been having difficulty locating a "ripping" chain for his saw. Anybody have a suggestion for a local supplier? He said he found one source, but it was a 500 foot minimum order, and you had to cut and link the chains yourself.

Thanks

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
In the past, I had my local Stihl dealer order me one with a 10 degree angle on it (he actually got it from Oregon). He does chain-saw repair also, tho, so is not tied to one brand. However, since then I have filed my own from a stock chain. Depending on the power of the saw, he may want to also consider going to a skip-tooth chain. It will allow him to keep up the RPMs into the optimum power area better, and also let him go with a longer bar than one would normally use on a given power head.

Depending on what brand of saw he has, the local distributor should be able to get him what he needs.

Also, Baileys on line is an internet source. I have not tried their unique rip profile chain so cannot comment on its performance.

Some info that may also help is the type of mill he bought, the model/make of the saw, and the size of bar he plans to use. Several of us have the Granberg Alaska mill, some have other types, as well as there are people using Stihls and Husqvarna saws.

By the way, a rip chain is not a must, but does make a smoother cut (the reduced angle results in less side-ways movement of the teeth). For larger logs, the skip-tooth will have more impact on cutting performance. A skip-tooth with a rip profile is best, but he may have to file the profile (angle) himself. The local dealer may do it, but that will increase the chain cost.

JMTCW

Go

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Laser Sales should have it. Easy on line ordering, excellent service, great prices, high quality chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors